Skills needed for newbuild compared to refurbishing old?

Fortunately the Segal method of timber framed construction avoids the need for plastering. Plasterboard is painted before being clamped into place by battens to form the walls.

Sponsored Links
Same here. As I said in an earlier post, on top of renovating several houses now, on the house I currently live in I have built a 40m2 timber framed extension. I did everything except plumbing, electrics, the plastering the existing brick wall that was 30mm out of plumb over 3m, and the thin coat render. Everything else, from digging the foundations, to laying the substructure brickwork, making the timber panels, tiling the roof, fitting the rooflights, fitting the bifolds, tiling, fitting the kitchen, and decorating was all my work. Came out alright too :)
I will upload to "Your Projects", but here's a couple of pics...
View attachment 214241 View attachment 214242 View attachment 214243 View attachment 214244 View attachment 214245
Nice work, did you do the stone worktops?

Nice work, did you do the stone worktops?
The whole kitchen was second hand. It was a genuine £50k kitchen that I picked up for 1/10 the price. I just had to rearrange the units slightly to fit, and because of that cut some of the granite to length and get one more bit of granite.
The granite was broken around the sink and hob but I repaired it with resin and fitted it myself, yes.

How skilled do you have to be to build newbuild ?

My skills were those of an electronics design engineer and my wife's skills were those of a school teacher,

Between us we built this, everything except the chimney stack and the slates on the roof was DIY

AJ-cover.jpg

Sponsored Links
How skilled do you have to be to build newbuild ?

My skills were those of an electronics design engineer and my wife's skills were those of a school teacher,

Between us we built this, everything except the chimney stack and the slates on the roof was DIY

View attachment 214247
Nice work.

I think it depends on the complexity of the design and the intricacy of some of the detailing, along with a desire to learn and a natural propensity to be good at, and enjoy, building things. A DIYer will not usually have the skills to do the most complex parts of some builds, or the most intricate detailing, themselves.
Watching programmes such as Grand Designs and it's amazing what DIYers with little knowledge of building can achieve. On the flip side, people call themselves self builders when actually they have only project managed the build, or even just bought the plot and left everything else to the professionals.

Nice!. My OH mucks in as well. I think she would divorce me if I said we were moving again to build or refurb another house, but we've just built this 100% DIY except digging out for the raft and barrowing the concrete, (sharp eyes may spot still some window trim to fit) and my next project (after some hard landscaping) is a garden room office, again clad, but this time timber frame and part SIPS with a slate roof. Got to have some projects...

20201210_141043 (1).jpg

Nice!. My OH mucks in as well. I think she would divorce me if I said we were moving again to build or refurb another house, but we've just built this 100% DIY except digging out for the raft and barrowing the concrete, (sharp eyes may spot still some window trim to fit) and my next project (after some hard landscaping) is a garden room office, again clad, but this time timber frame and part SIPS with a slate roof. Got to have some projects...

View attachment 214248
Looks very good did you get a bricklayer in?

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks very nice! Did you get a bricklayer to do the brickwork? How much do you think you would have to pay a builder to do the work that you and your wife did together?

No, that's my brickwork. I reckon if we'd had a builder build it we'd have approx doubled the ~£10K material costs

So do you reckon the builders would have charged £10,000 for the labour part
Honestly, I don't know. You need a builder to answer that really!

28sqm Reinforced raft + bricknblock + slate roof + cladding, windows etc.

Honestly, I don't know. You need a builder to answer that really! 28sqm Reinforced raft + bricknblock + slate roof + cladding, windows etc.
It looks to me like a good quality job

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I am not alone in saying that that looks to me like a good quality professional job! I mean you've made it as good as a professional builder would! How did you go and learn how to lay bricks and do the brickwork and the electrics, foundation, windows, fitting the doors getting the planks all even.
I'm obviously quite interested because I'm a non builder trying to do builders work on my own house and I'm trying to do it for a living so it's taken me months and months to make the progress that I've made

I won't do electrics (or not much anyway), as for the rest, I'm the wrong side of 60 and when I started out with houses had no choice but to DIY as we had little money. Over the years I've just had a go. It's much easier now because there are so many online resources. Two tips from me - 1) plan - do drawings, work it out as best you can before you start - IMHO half the battle with e.g. roofing is setting it all out. 2) don't hold back buying good tools for the job in hand. I recently saved ~£10K+ making some sash windows, but I had to buy £2K of tools to do it (Domino, band saw, router+table). I can get most jobs done, but I probably take 4 x as long as a pro would. There's no magic bullet! BTW, you use gecko gauges to help install cladding nice and even. :)

I know Colchester quite well - lived in Harwich for many years and still have family down that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back