Small IP rated toggle switch?

Sponsored Links
Hi all.

Sorry for the late response but I work away from home during the week.

I wish I knew how to like posts on this new website, BAS actually made me laugh! A small toggle switch is exactly that. I reckon the rubber boot over the top would do but I'm reluctant to pay more for postage than the actual bit.

Just a small toggle switch rated at 240 will do and I'll try and get one of the rubber covers. Switching them on/off at the plug socket is ok but as they are for my elderly parents I was trying to make life easier as the plug socket is at shin height.

in that case go pick up this beastie from your nearest store

edit- thats an ON/ON switch by the looks of it, so not much use, but they do do a sub miniature boot if you've got one local to you

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
as someone said earlier they are for enclosed panels
The boot is at the front, the back will possibly have exposed live parts even with the spades pushed on and this in a damp lampost possibly may short out.
The LIKE button is now to the right at the bottom of each post now in blue
it says,
the post number Like +multiquote Quote

Oh awesome. I'd mistakenly assumed it was an ON/OFF/ON switch I think - maybe too fiddly for old(er) hands

Thanks for all your help. I bought one off eBay complete with rubber boot. The inside should be pretty dry as I'll seal everything but I'll also heat shrunk the terminals. I'll take pics and let you know how I get on.

An ON/ON switch might be used for something like a two speed fan, the switch would then have three positions, OFF, low speed & high speed. Some ON/ON switches have a mid ON position and a momentary second position. Similar to a car ignition switch. (OFF, IGNITION, START).

I would have though that the Maplin one would be OK, if you wire it so the light comes on in both positions.

I still think the whole business of making waterproof the switch AND ITS WIRING is fraught with problems. I would recommend you look again at ready made weatherproof switches as previously suggested.

This one e.g.
http://m.screwfix.com/p/bg-1-gang-2-way-single-pole-slim-weatherproof-switch/42402

As I said ON/ON switches (at Maplins anyway) are the equivalent of two-way switches.

They have two switch positions - up and down - both are ON to different terminals so can be used as a one-way switch.

I do not understand what you are saying , the switch has three states. A two-way switch only has two states.
So ON OFF ON will be like this

Yes but an ON/ON switch has no OFF position - like a two-way.

Delete the middle in your picture. Simples :)

It does have an off position if one of the terminals isn't connected to anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back