smart meters should you get one ??

Anything that the government wants me to have "for my own benefit" definately a no no

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't do without mine for the cheap overnight rates. My month electric average is 9p/kWh and gas is 4.15p/kWh.

They can also be a dumb meter if the smart meter doesn't communicate... I see lots of people complaining of inaccurate bills due to a meter person reading/entering the digits incorrectly when they read them. Not had mine read in 4 years now...

Sponsored Links
The frightened luddites are alive and well on the forum, as they clatter into the distance on their horse and cart.

Yes I'm sure all post office sub-postmasters and sub-postmistresses, were absolutely delighted when electronic accounting made life much easier for them.

One wonders what other horrors the government must be fostering on people with shoddy software,

But have no fear, lessons will be learned...........:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Of course, there will always be people who are unwilling or unable to use new technologies. This is fine. I always try to try something new that makes my life easier like this site here.The smart meter has made my life a lot easier. I can’t say with certainty what happen next.

Last edited:
Yes I'm sure all post office sub-postmasters and sub-postmistresses, were absolutely delighted when electronic accounting made life much easier for them.

One wonders what other horrors the government must be fostering on people with shoddy software,

But have no fear, lessons will be learned...........:unsure::unsure::unsure:

They are only a bl**dy meter for Ch**t sake, nothing to be afraid of.

From the bloke who is tighter than two coats of paint; you'd change your tune if you were overbilled by pennies :ROFLMAO:

No reason why I should be, or expect to be corporal, and when money needs to be spent, I spend it. Bye, bye corporal... Back in your box you go.

Your blind trust in the government having your best interests at heart, is touching.

There is nothing blind about it, it's just a couple of energy meters, more up to date meters than my old ones, much higher specced, which enable me now to actually save a considerable amount of the cost of my energy, but nonetheless - just energy meters.

Were you this concerned, when they changed all the hand cranked petrol pumps to electric ones?
Were you this concerned, when they shut the analogue TV system down, after going digital?
Do you still write letters on paper, and contact people by post?

It's called PROGRESS! The world moves on, you either move with it, or get left behind feeling foolish.

They are only a bl**dy meter for Ch**t sake, nothing to be afraid of
They have many functions which are not yet implemented
One of the functions gives the energy supplier the ability to change the way a smart meter operates by remote control.

quoting from https://www.smartenergygb.org/about-smart-meters/smart-facts/can-a-smart-meter-cut-off-power
If a consumer falls into debt with a traditional meter, their energy supplier could charge to install a new prepayment meter. With smart meters, consumers can be switched from credit to prepayment mode without the cost of a new meter being added to their existing debt.

There are other possibilities details of which are not yet in the public domain.

They have many functions which are not yet implemented
One of the functions gives the energy supplier the ability to change the way a smart meter operates by remote control.

quoting from https://www.smartenergygb.org/about-smart-meters/smart-facts/can-a-smart-meter-cut-off-power
If a consumer falls into debt with a traditional meter, their energy supplier could charge to install a new prepayment meter. With smart meters, consumers can be switched from credit to prepayment mode without the cost of a new meter being added to their existing debt.

We are already well aware of that fact Bernard, what is not to like about it? The supplier gains from a less involved, less costly switch, the consumer gains too.

In fact, anyone struggling with costs, on prepay, has the opportunity to see what it is costing them minute by minutes, and thus avoid the debt building up, to the point where prepay becomes necessary.

There are other possibilities details of which are not yet in the public domain.

Those possibilities are already fairly obvious to most thinking people.

Sponsored Links
Back