Spirit levels - the choices arrh!

Sponsored Links
That's the thing when you don't have a clue what you are talking about, it's not just "slapping bricks on top of each other in a straight line".

It's the difference between a professional who has done years of training and then years of working, and an amateur or a person who has bought a white van one hour ago and touts for work.

Your lack of knowledge can't see, understand or appreciate a mundane thing like a brick wall, as it's all just "bricks on top of each other in a straight line". So of course, anyone can do that. - you need you change your name you Yosser Hughes.

And that cluelessness and disdain for proper tradespeople is most likely the root of your own attitude problems and insecurities. You think you can do the same or better, when really all you are doing is getting to some or other standard, by some or other method, and at some or other cost, and which you accept as good enough. And then all of a sudden in your mind, you are as good as any other professional tradesperson who has been training and working for years.

Have you ever had to lay a curved wall?

Out of all the trades I do, bricklaying is the one I'd say takes the longest to learn and is the most difficult to do well. Your patronising attitude smacks of extreme naivety and ignorance. Bricklaying and patios are not all about straight lines.
Lovely work, you should be proud. I'm an enthusiastic amateur, I've built a few garden walls, but I know my limits and will stick to straight lines until someone invents curved string.

Can you really not tell the difference between a daft wind-up and attempted murder?

Getting back on-topic... my suggestion is that any level from a decent supplier should be easily good enough for any patio, smooth, porcelain, whatever. My approach would be to buy the Screwfix set, use those for across the falls, picking whatever length suits you best as needed.

I'd also buy a gradient level, and use this for setting out the string lines for the edges and also stack it on top of the longer Screwfix levels when checking the gradients, i.e. just use the Screwfix levels as long bits of metal and ignore the bubbles.

If anyone has any better ideas then please suggest, and please try and keep those fragile egos in check.

My big level for internal levelling/plumbing of beams, frames, setting out etc is a Fatmax XL1800mm. It's bloody heavy but oddly, much easier to handle than the previous light Stabila and does not get easily knocked or blown over or slide about. Bubbles are very easy to see from all directions. Only downside is the bubble water has faded to clear after a relatively short period of time (less than 10 years) and it's not been in the sun much.

If I was buying new levels now for internal setting out, I'd get one's with illuminated bubbles.

I got a Bosch digital level a few years back and it's great for levelling when you can't see the level. Just put it on the thing and listen for the tone. Should have got one years back. Also great for setting things (like patios :sneaky:) with a constant fall as you can set the angle required.

Older thread but what size of bosch level did you get? I'm looking at digital levels and was considering the bosch. I was looking at stabila but heard the calibration for that one needs to be done via the spirit bubble which seems naff compared to just pressing a button and rotating the thing a few times (which I believe is how the bosch calibrates).

Now I'm just wondering if 60 or 120 is better.

Sponsored Links
Older thread but what size of bosch level did you get? I'm looking at digital levels and was considering the bosch. I was looking at stabila but heard the calibration for that one needs to be done via the spirit bubble which seems naff compared to just pressing a button and rotating the thing a few times (which I believe is how the bosch calibrates).

Now I'm just wondering if 60 or 120 is better.
600mm. I thought it would be more versatile for the things I planned for it.

600mm. I thought it would be more versatile for the things I planned for it.

Thanks. Have you found it good and reliable since then? Was considering this or an IMEX, but dont know much about that brand tbh. Assuming Bosch is solid.

I have a 1.8m cheap Wickes one that's easy to bend, I've been leveling floor joists and if one's a bit high I can just press each end of the level and hey presto. My stabilla is admittedly shorter but doesn't bend, but cost a lot more.

IMG_20240302_181152545.jpg

Thanks. Have you found it good and reliable since then? Was considering this or an IMEX, but dont know much about that brand tbh. Assuming Bosch is solid.
Yes, reliable and versatile. It's great for the things I mentioned - when you can't see the bubble - kitchen units when adjusting the legs down on the floor, or beams and joists when packing an end for instance. Or angles, slopes.

One thing I have noticed and I think it's inherent in all digital levels is that there is a slight lag between the bubble and the sensor registering level or plumb. The bubbles may say dead level or plumb but the level may need that little 1/10 or 1/100 of movement before the thing beeps.

Likewise, there is travel in the bubble before the digits move. I suspect it relates to the sensor steps being 1/100 of a degree but the bubble is analogue with no steps.

It messes with my OCD, but in context, 1/100 of a degree is nothing really for most things.

Yes, reliable and versatile. It's great for the things I mentioned - when you can't see the bubble - kitchen units when adjusting the legs down on the floor, or beams and joists when packing an end for instance. Or angles, slopes.

One thing I have noticed and I think it's inherent in all digital levels is that there is a slight lag between the bubble and the sensor registering level or plumb. The bubbles may say dead level or plumb but the level may need that little 1/10 or 1/100 of movement before the thing beeps.

Likewise, there is travel in the bubble before the digits move. I suspect it relates to the sensor steps being 1/100 of a degree but the bubble is analogue with no steps.

It messes with my OCD, but in context, 1/100 of a degree is nothing really for most things.

I believe the sensitivity of those levels is 0.1 to 0.2deg (or 0.05 at 90 and 0 degrees), so I guess that makes sense.

To be honest I've always had that issue with regular stabila levels! You slap the thing on and check the bubble and it seems very very slightly off. You do nothing, slap it back on, and now its dead level. Maybe I just can't read those bubbles worth a damn. Sola is much easier to see if the bubble is dead centre.

It's either my eyes or OCD, I dunno. Was hoping a digital level would keep me set because I don't have to try and read a bubble!

Last edited:
One other thing with the Bosch levels, the display has a very narrow display angle, so you need to look at it from a certain angle. Most reviews mention this.

I've never had problems with Stabila levels and the bubbles. Whilst you should always avoid tapping and bashing any level, the stabila bubbles always seem to be stable. The bubbles in some cheap levels do seem to separate easily at the slightest tap and take a while to join back up.

Have a look at the Fatmax XL levels, they have slightly curved vials and the bubble may be more stable for you.

One other thing with the Bosch levels, the display has a very narrow display angle, so you need to look at it from a certain angle. Most reviews mention this.

I've never had problems with Stabila levels and the bubbles. Whilst you should always avoid tapping and bashing any level, the stabila bubbles always seem to be stable. The bubbles in some cheap levels do seem to separate easily at the slightest tap and take a while to join back up.

Have a look at the Fatmax XL levels, they have slightly curved vials and the bubble may be more stable for you.

Thanks, Woody. I did see the reviews mentioning the display angle, but considered it likely not a problem as I'm intending to use it mostly for plumb measurements for now; where with standard levels you're slapping your face against the wall to get a solid read on them anyway.

Not sure if the IMEX I saw was any better in that regard, due to so much fewer reviews. Only saw a couple of negatives for that one, one mentioning the beep was far too quiet (probably faulty or deaf guy), and another mentioned he went back to regular bubble levels after some time because he found the IMEX was requiring calibration too much. I imagine the Bosch seems to be better in that regard or you'd have mentioned.

As for regular bubbles, another reason I was looking at digital is because I was dismayed at the quality of the Stabilas I had gotten recently. Ordered a 120cm, only one plumb vial was accurate (and I could only check accuracy by putting it up against a surface and flipping it, since I couldn't reference both plumb vials at the same time due to one being clearly naff). Got a second replacement sent out, and BOTH plumb vials were out on that one.

Shocked me, given Stabila's supposed reliability. A cheap Tough Master 180cm I got to use as a long straight edge for checking studs was more accurate than the Stabilas.

I must confess that as I hurtle towards my dotage, I find it more difficult to see the bubble when lighting conditions are poor. I have concluded that I probably need a laser level for some tasks.

I must confess that as I hurtle towards my dotage, I find it more difficult to see the bubble when lighting conditions are poor. I have concluded that I probably need a laser level for some tasks.

Laser levels are amazing for setting things out over a distance or for things like packing out an entire old wall. I use the bubble level to confirm after to dial in the level exactly.

WTF's your issue?

My post seems to have disappeared! Anyway, it contained a picture of your handy work that I saw on another thread and as I have wicked sense of humour I couldn't resist it. If you have no sense of humour I apologise, I'm not here to upset people I just thought it was really funny on a spirit level thread.

Screenshot_20240304-171929.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back