Spirit levels - the choices arrh!

My post seems to have disappeared! Anyway, it contained a picture of your handy work that I saw on another thread and as I have wicked sense of humour I couldn't resist it. If you have no sense of humour I apologise, I'm not here to upset people I just thought it was really funny on a spirit level thread.

View attachment 335392
Seriously, what is your issue?

Clearly, he's put the cover box in perfectly level and it's the electrician and tiler who are at fault.

Sponsored Links
I'm blaming whoever put in the back box, before I tiled.

I think I attempted to level it while fitting, but the back box is too far out to twist it.

I didn't want to tighten too much and bugger up that precision tile cutting.

I'm blaming whoever put in the back box, before I tiled.

I think I attempted to level it while fitting, but the back box is too far out to twist it.

I didn't want to tighten too much and bugger up that precision tile cutting.

That where it helps, to have the box set back in the wall deeper - you get an extra bit of level adjustment on the longer screws.

I will report back with a photo of the straightened faceplate after I've finished all my other chores, on the 32nd of Febtober.

I think the camera lied, it could be a perspective thing!

Sponsored Links
I believe the sensitivity of those levels is 0.1 to 0.2deg (or 0.05 at 90 and 0 degrees), so I guess that makes sense.

To be honest I've always had that issue with regular stabila levels! You slap the thing on and check the bubble and it seems very very slightly off. You do nothing, slap it back on, and now its dead level. Maybe I just can't read those bubbles worth a damn. Sola is much easier to see if the bubble is dead centre.

It's either my eyes or OCD, I dunno. Was hoping a digital level would keep me set because I don't have to try and read a bubble!
I tried a digital level on a kitchen fit last year.

Pretty unimpressed TBH -I found a traditional bubble far easier

0.2 deg tolerance isnt great thats +-3.5mm over a metre

if it was me I would use a self levelling laser + bubble level

I tried a digital level on a kitchen fit last year.

Pretty unimpressed TBH -I found a traditional bubble far easier

0.2 deg tolerance isnt great thats +-3.5mm over a metre

if it was me I would use a self levelling laser + bubble level

Well, Milwaukee sell one that's accurate down to 0.03deg, which is equal to Stabilas 0.5mm standard bubbles. Can't get much better than that, it's just expensive.

Well, Milwaukee sell one that's accurate down to 0.03deg, which is equal to Stabilas 0.5mm standard bubbles. Can't get much better than that, it's just expensive.
From a professional point of view, levels are vulnerable and somewhat affordable/disposable. We buy bar type Stabilas, with the horizontal vial on the top edge (essential) and vertical vials at each end. They are durable, sturdy and wieldy.

The last thing a bricky needs is a clumsy chunky level with hard to see vials. Fitting plasterboards - dabbing etc, gives them the most stick.

From a professional point of view, levels are vulnerable and somewhat affordable/disposable. We buy bar type Stabilas, with the horizontal vial on the top edge (essential) and vertical vials at each end. They are durable, sturdy and wieldy.

The last thing a bricky needs is a clumsy chunky level with hard to see vials. Fitting plasterboards - dabbing etc, gives them the most stick.

Which Stabilas? I tried a couple of the plain cheaper yellow 70-2 and was dismayed to find only one plumb vial was accurate out of 4. Kind of soured me on the whole Stabilas being the best thing.

A 180cm Tough Master I got for cheap on eBay that was intended to be used as a chunky straight edge (as smaller levels bend too much and are crap for this) ended up being more accurate and reliable.

Which Stabilas?
Just the simple bar type. We always buy ours off the racking so that we can test them before we buy. Always set them up level/plumb on summat, then flip them around or flip them over, to make sure both bubbles are on cue.

1711882164707.png

Just the simple bar type. We always buy ours off the racking so that we can test them before we buy. Always set them up level/plumb on summat, then flip them around or flip them over, to make sure both bubbles are on cue.

View attachment 338700

Yeah that's the kind I tried. Wasn't impressed with the rate of failure on the plumb vials.

I also find the vials kind of annoying to read. Sola levels are probably the best I've ever tried in that regard.

The fatmax levels seem very robust with clear vials. I suppose it depends on what else they're used for

Never heard of them.

For us, levels must be wieldy, easy to clean, lightweight and reasonably robust/cost effective.

Austrian company. The vials are magnified and have dark green edges, so it is extremely easy to tell when something is plumb because the bubble fits exactly on the edges of those two green sides.

View attachment 338700
those are the ones I use -perfectly fine for cabinetmaking and carpentry work

Ive not had a problem with them being inaccurate

funnily enough I bought a set of three from Lidl which were chepa copies of the above and they were spot on for accuracy

I just found the digital level awkward to use on kitchen fitting -with a rotary self level laser for the main setting out

in any case for a lot of jobs you need a range of sizes -including a tordedo level for tight spaces

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back