Struggling to not use a junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Dreaded downlights. Im struggling to not use junction boxes in the ceiling void. The only solution i can find is to have a "loose" junction box in the space and pull it out through a down light hole. The other solution would be to permenatly join the cables - maybe crimping them, but in some cases i need to join more than one cable - i.e CPC's etc. How are you guys doing it? Im even thinking of soldering them!!!!

Sponsored Links
if you are confident with a soldering iron then soldering is the best way to join cables.

if both wires are flexible just twist then solder, if just one is flexible wrap it round the solid one then solder. If both are solid then use some thin wire to bind them together before soldering.

the solder joints should be covered over individually with heatshrink and then the overall assembly should either be covered with heatshrink or placed in an enclosure (e.g. a chockbox)

Sponsored Links
ch427 said:
use a small circular jb that can be accessed with removing a light

Use a choc box (with a piece of choc block inside), you need protection against the cable being pulled out and thats normally provided by fixing both JB and cable to a surface

It also helps with the joing fix to solid cable issue (that is, that they shouldn't be under the same screw)

Not sure what the actual regs on all the above are, but its certainly best practice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back