stuck stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Started the bathroom back in september, turning off the supply from the cold storage tank to the shower. It's got an isolator valve and a stop cock in the pipe from the bottom of the tank to the shower.

Get to turn it on tonight having fitted a new shower and there isn't any cold water coming through. I suspect the stop cock (whick was playing up when I turned the water off) isn't letting water through despite being fully open. It's been jammed shut for about 6 weeks now.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to it before going down the route of changing it. Or is it better to forget trying to fix it and put a new one in?

I don't think there is an airlock. The pipework to the shower runs horizontally for a meter, then downwards. The shower is a power shower with a pump for stored cold / hot and has a comissioning mode to prime it. The hot primes fine, and the cold is non existant.

Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
You can confirm whether the valve is ceased shut by carefully breaking the compression joint on the downstream side of it, if no water comes out then the valve's ceased shut

is that a devon laugage for seized ?
10_4_6.gif

Sponsored Links
gate valve.
they are prone to snapping and the handle just keeps turning.
bin it and fit a full bore lever valve.
LBV15Y_Ball_Valve.jpg

36_1_11.gif

If its a gate valve quite often these things shear off and drop into the valve. Either change it or just change the head. The biggest proplem is draining the water out or the water tank .if the gate valve is blocked

Thinking about this overnight and the way the pipes run, there IS a possibility of an airlock. Also, the valve turns both ways and stops either end, so I do wonder if the valve is working ok after all.

The reason I think there might be an airlock is because the pipe runs down from the loft to floor level, under the bath then up to the shower head. The priming mode runs at a trickle, and as the pipework is all new, it's all air :(

What I'm going to do is put an isolator valve in at floor level in the access panel it runs through. That way I can get the water to floor level, and I can check that the valve by the tank is working at the same time.

Thank goodness it's run in plastic pipe, and I made an access panel!

'Twas an airlock (thankfully!) - sorted now. Just had a lovely shower in the new bathroom.

Cheers for all the info everyone - much appreciated :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back