Surrey or Essex Flange?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does it matter which one I choose?

My understanding is that the surrey flange will require the pipe work to be altered compared to the essex flange which requires a hole to be drilled into the cylinder.

Does the essex flange not have any pipe work connected to it?

Sponsored Links
Both will require pipework alteration. Essex flange is a bit trickier to fit as it requires drilling a hole in the side of the cylinder. Surrey flange screws into top connection of cylinder and will require you to slightly alter the hot water draw offpipe and the expansion pipe. Essex flange will just be the feed pipe to your shower/pump.

For elimination of air an Essex flange is the better fitting. What are you going to connect to it?

Thanks,

Its for a shower pump, this is my current set up, I know the pump pipe work is not as it should be but its what I have, just trying to get rid of the air and I dont have any flange on the HWC

The pipe work is all 22mm apart from where it T's off to the wash basin

If you feel pretty confident about your plumbing ability i would fit an Essex flange . This will be the recommended method in your Shower pump instructions. If you take your time you should have no problems. Put plenty of Boss White on the tank connection to help the seal.....and remember to drain cylinder first before you drill a hole in it :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Why do you suggest a essex flange due to my set up or you think they are a better flange?

They are far better at eliminating air intake to draw off pipe....and the Essex connection will be used SOLELY for the shower pump. A Surrey flange is still used for ALL your hot water pipework.

A Surrey flange is usually fitted if u are having bother with air on your entire hot water system.

Well the problems Im having is that the hot water is not always getting through to the shower head but if I turn the bath hot tap on it comes through to the shower.

Also sometimes if you run the hot tap in the kitchen the pump spins so there must be air in the pipe, just not sure which is the best option

Fortunately I have a spare pump as I believe the delay in fitting the flange will affect the life of the pump

Essex Flange....it sounds like the pump hasnt been tee'd in to the best of areas on the HW pipework.

Ok, I dont think the pump has been connected at the best location but I have to work with what I have.

So you basically drill a hole into the cylinder and fit the flange and run the pipework from the flange to the shower pump, shame there's no video on utube

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back