Synchromesh-What is that!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at getting a 4-5 year old peugeot or fiat van. Seen some nice, relatively low mile examples in very nice condition, except, they all seem to have syncromesh problems with either 2nd or 3rd gear. Done some research and seems a common problem with these vans. Right, i have not got an idea what this means, what it costs to repair etc, etc. Can someone advise, can i live with it? Does it get worse? Will it affect every gear eventually? Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
iirc it is in the gear box,and from reading posts on various car forums anything to do with the gearbox is b.loody expensive to sort out,you pay your money you take your chance.

Synchromesh problems don't necessarily get worse, and don't spread from one gear to another; although if there's the same design or manufacturing weakness it's more likely to develop in all gears.

It's quite satisfying to acquire the skill of driving a vehicle with weak or poor synchromesh. In fact, if manufacturers weren't allowed to build gearboxes with synchromesh a great many unskilled drivers would be kept off the roads, which arguably would be a good thing all round.

I very recently, and reluctantely sold my 405 estate, this had weak syncromesh on third gear, you could if you changed gear very slowly, do a smooth change, but I tended to go from second into fourth, then fith with no problems.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
It’s just a little brass ring with ears on that meshes between adjacent gears; the idea is that it keeps the adjacent gear (not in use) turning at the same speed so you don’t get crunches when shifting down. Early Mini’s were renowned for syncro failure on 2nd gear & many cars originally never had syncro on 1st. at all. Syncro failure wont render the box u/s but is usually a sign of overall wear, it’s usually just an inconvenience; the part is relatively inexpensive but the box has to be removed & stripped to replace it, hence the high cost. Once they fail, it’s usually more cost effective to learn to live with it but it will affect the resale value so if it’s a good price then learn how to double de-clutch. My wife’s first car was a Fiat 500 & that was built with a totally “crash gearbox” (no syncro fitted on any gears); after a couple of hours practice she had it off to a tee. ;)

Synchromesh problems don't necessarily get worse, and don't spread from one gear to another; although if there's the same design or manufacturing weakness it's more likely to develop in all gears.

It's quite satisfying to acquire the skill of driving a vehicle with weak or poor synchromesh. In fact, if manufacturers weren't allowed to build gearboxes with synchromesh a great many unskilled drivers would be kept off the roads, which arguably would be a good thing all round.

Errrr, no. The end user needs to know the bare mimimum about a car. Then you have done well.

Back