Thatcher

Sponsored Links
Re: the coal mining industry.

It almost goes without saying that Maggie supporters would agree that closing the industry down was the right way to go.

But what about Maggie's detractors? Would YOU have closed the pits down, if it were your decision?

I absolutely hated Thatcher at the time and cheered when she was kicked out but I wish to f*ck she was around now. We need someone willing to take on all the limp wristed, namby-pamby, modern tw@ts that find pleasure in flushing this country down the sh*t pipe.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
We need someone willing to take on all the limp wristed, namby-pamby, modern ****ts that find pleasure in flushing this country down the sh*t pipe.
Who would that be then Squark?

I thought we'd just had a general election. :confused:

Sponsored Links
And a rabid right-wing numbskull like Norcon can't even justify his thoughtless support for the woman.

You've yet to justify your thoughtless criticism, just listed 'bad things' that happened under her term, without any analysis of if they could be avoided, were her fault or how they could have been done differently.

Change is painful, and her term bought change.

I don't agree with a lot of the policies, but the rabid approach some people take is more than a little amusing, especially claims that 'she hated the working man'.

Pffff.

brig said:
But what about Maggie's detractors? Would YOU have closed the pits down, if it were your decision?

Even today, with greater automation, the UK coal industry cannot compete against cheaper labour and laxer environmental laws elsewhere.

Subsidising them was the only answer, people voted against that.

'The working man' can't accept that and would rather blame a person, so much easier to blame a person than to blame economic conditions, markets and peoples willingness to support them through their taxes.

Na, just blame that bitch!

Due to his ignorance and stupidity, Norcon alleges that it is "nonsense" that under Thatcher's reign, the increase in unemployment, from less than a million, to more than three million, constitutes "trebling unemployment"

A lot of those workers were just in paid unemployment - nationalised indusrties etc.

It almost goes without saying that Maggie supporters would agree that closing the industry down was the right way to go.
My Father-in-law was a miner, and died of emphysema, a terrible disease, which killed far too many miners.
Their used to be a saying that if you drew a pension you weren't a real miner.
Mining villages were terrible dirty places to live, and the closing down of the pits was a long term Godsend, other industries moved in to provide "clean" employment.
My Father-in-law begrudgingly admitted Maggie was right.

My Father-in-law was a miner, and died of emphysema, a terrible disease, which killed far too many miners.
Their used to be a saying that if you drew a pension you weren't a real miner.
Mining villages were terrible dirty places to live, and the closing down of the pits was a long term Godsend, other industries moved in to provide "clean" employment.
My Father-in-law begrudgingly admitted Maggie was right.

My grandad was a coal miner. He died of lung disease before I was old enough to remember him properly.

It aint what you do its the way that you do it. In that respect... spectacular fail.

Any idiot can turn an economy round by selling off the silver... sadly you can only do it once.

It aint what you do its the way that you do it. In that respect... spectacular fail.

Any idiot can turn an economy round by selling off the silver... sadly you can only do it once.

Surely, that was Gormless Clown not Maggie?

Instead of digging the coal out at a loss, it still sits there.
400 yrs' worth, should we ever need it in the future.

Sponsored Links
Back