The Law and Gas installation.

if the valve under the hob was off and a cap fitted above, no need to test apart from ldf on the cap for let by ;)

Sponsored Links
People get so defensive - Jeez!

Anyway, I guess you've highlighted to me that as the job includes leak testing and I don't have the equipment to do that, then I should leave it to the pro's.

I can only hope that this particular pro turns out to know what he is doing more than my recent discoveries as to the quality of some work by so called professional slater, electrician and plasterer!

Hey, I've got an open mind though - can't tar everyone with the same brush.

cheers,
Guy

No ones trying to be defensive on this.

There are plenty of people who ask for advice but when it's not the answer they want they're not happy about it. You asked firstly if it was legal to do this and I don't think it is as i've explained.

Prices charged are a different matter, you are quite entitled to look for value for money.

Thanks Denso,
I appreciate and accept your reasoning. It's just that every now and then I seem to get a slap in the face when I least expect it by some weird attitide from left field. It's times like that when I wonder why I bother.

I accept that it's not legal for me to do without testing, so do I just forget about it - throw my lolly out of the pram and call an expert - no, I do the sensible thing and try to work through the problem. If the conclusion after all other avenlues have been explored is to call out a pro, then that's fair enough, but if everyone gave up on everything after the first try didn't work then what a sorry bunch we'd be.

Sponsored Links
GCarnegi said:
I appreciate and accept your reasoning. It's just that every now and then I seem to get a slap in the face when I least expect it by some weird attitide from left field.
You weren't slapped, you were helped. The weird attitude is all yours. Wheelnuts. FFS. :rolleyes:

It's times like that when I wonder why I bother.
That would appear to be your problem.

I accept that it's not legal for me to do without testing, so do I just forget about it - throw my lolly out of the pram and call an expert - no, I do the sensible thing and try to work through the problem.
What you mean is try to do it illegally.

If the conclusion after all other avenlues have been explored is to call out a pro, then that's fair enough, but if everyone gave up on everything after the first try didn't work then what a sorry bunch we'd be.
Speak for yourself. You're addressing some of the most persistent and tenacious people on the planet.

GCarnegi said:
Thanks Denso,

No problem, btw I'm not too away far from Aberdeen, not close enough to help, but not too far :)

Why not get a quote for installing your new hob (if you're getting one) but make it clear you need the old one disconnected first. You may get a better price that way than calling someone out just to disconnect.

Agile said:
I really dont believe that all CORGIs in the area cannot spare just 30 minutes for three days!Tony

Unless I choose to work weekends or into each evening, which I do only when forced to, I would find it hard to find 30mins up till about mid september :eek:

Tony, you can't be that busy then :rolleyes:

Oh and one other thing, unless I've mis-read the OP, what is a compression elbow on a gas pipe doing under the floor :eek:

Dan_Robinson said:
:LOL: :LOL:

Hey man I only just got in from work and it took me this long to trawl through all the b1tching.

But it was in the first post Dan!

Do you read backwards or sumfink? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I start with the oldest unread threads, then systematically read each one. No point being the second or third smart arse ;)

You might miss something important.

To the OP (if you're still reading replies :LOL: )

It's only illegal if you are not competant and you've already accepted that you are not.

You have, therefore, two options ...

1. Get a CORGI RGI to do the work for you and pay them £'s
or
2. Get competant and do it yourself ...There is plenty of advice on the net about how to ensure the safety of gas installations prior to, during and after DIY work.

The choice is yours.

Good luck

Esra

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back