The plug of a dishwasher starts to melt !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can you tell me why the plug of a dishwasher starts to melt?
Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Most likely loose socket contacts, or loose connections in the plug. You must replace both the plug and socket before using the dishwasher again.

It's not on an extension lead or anything like that is it?

Sponsored Links
Thank you freddo,
What I have seen is the plug. Its shape has changed and looks melted.
It is not in my flat, I will try to take a photograph.

You must have both the plug and socket replaced asap. If it has got to the point of changing shape it is a fire hazard. The dishwasher must not be used again until this is corrected.

Be very careful, if the plug has melted it may now have exposed live parts. I would advise against touching it.

I would also advise calling an electrician to carry out this work. If the heat has damaged the wiring feeding the socket, it can be much more difficult to repair as any heat damaged wiring will need to be cut back to undamaged wiring.

Please do post some pictures.

Hi freddo,

Sorry, I haven't got time to take the picture.
I will go tomorrow. If the problem is only in the plug, can I replace it by a normal FUSED 13A/250V plug?

Hi freddo,

Sorry, I haven't got time to take the picture.
I will go tomorrow. If the problem is only in the plug, can I replace it by a normal FUSED 13A/250V plug?
Yes, but the same will happen again unless you also change the socket.

Yes you can, but if the plug is damaged by heat the socket will be as well, even if it doesn't look like it. Fit a quality plug, I always use MK. Fit a quality socket as well!

Edit, post crossed with Stillp!

Please read the advice already given to you!! Freddo's post (#2) has advised you that overheating in the plug will most probably have caused heat damage to the socket itself. If you just replace the plug then it is fairly certain the problem will occur again.

Take a short cut and only do half the job and you'll end up with more damage.

Thank you.
So can I replace the socket myself if I find where is the fuse box?

Hi, The issue in question is my flat, the socket is fine, the plug isnt melted

I believe the back of the dishwasher has some sort of black material which melted onto the plug ... will try to get some photos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back