The plug of a dishwasher starts to melt !

that is 100% different from what you originally said.

In fact, the dishwasher has a soft, tarry black plastic layer on the back to absorb noise. It is slightly sticky. It softens when the dishwasher heats up and fills with hot water and steam. If the dishwasher is pushed hard back against anything, for a long period, the sticky surface will flow onto the object and stick to it.

Scape the sticky black residue off the plug, and tape a barrier material to the back of the dishwasher. I used baking parchment as it was handy in the kitchen and has a non-stick coating. You can use a bit of white spirit to clean up the plug if you want, but it will probably be stained now.

Sponsored Links
It was my dad that started this thread and he is extremely worried about me - even though I am over 30years old now :) I told him not to worry but he doesnt believe me! Anyway, he is coming over tomorrow to my flat and we will provide the photos and hopefully put the issue to rest.

Oh that's totally different! Yes happens all the time, the plugs often get stuck to the back of the dishwasher.

Freddo (Who used to be an appliance engineer)

Well anything melting on an appliance is bad news and so do not use it until the cause is established and a repair has been done if it's possible to repair it.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as nothing has melted, the black bitumen? pad on the back of dishwashers gets all sticky when they warm up and anything against it becomes stuck.

Hi all

After closer inspection, while the bitumen did indeed melt onto the plug, it seems there was some damage to the plug and socket itself. I have attached some photos - let me know what you think?

I think the socket will need replacing - I will probably get a professional to do this.

The plug and the wire are fused and I cant seem to find an easy way into the washing machine in order to replace it - its a Diplomat ADP8322. Does anyone know if this is an easy job or am I better off getting a new dish washer?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20151213_132025.jpg
    IMG_20151213_132025.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 612
  • IMG_20151213_121602.jpg
    IMG_20151213_121602.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_20151213_132033.jpg
    IMG_20151213_132033.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_20151213_132210.jpg
    IMG_20151213_132210.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_20151213_131951.jpg
    IMG_20151213_131951.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_20151213_121105.jpg
    IMG_20151213_121105.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_20151213_121024.jpg
    IMG_20151213_121024.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 547
you can cut the plug off the flex, and fit a new plug. no need to rummage around the connector block in the appliance (hopefully it has some kind of protection from water in case of leaks).

You are right, there is evidence of heat browning around the live pin on the socket. This is probably due to a poor connection in either the plug or the socket. Moulded plugs are supposed to be assembled to a proper standard in the factory, and this would be unusual in a European product. "Diplomat" was an own-brand from one of the kitchen companies, and they sourced their products from wherever they are cheapest, and glue the name-badge on. Some spare parts are still available.

There may also be a brown stain around the socket switch, this is very abnormal, and if the switch has been overheating, is pretty sure to be due to poor quality manufacture. Examine the switches and sockets for your washing machine, tumble-drier and cooker/oven, as these are also heavy load appliances.
When you remove the old socket, examine the wires carefully. If there is evidence of heat discolouration of the copper, the heat will have softened it, and the discoloured part has to be nipped off so that bright undamaged copper is used. If this leaves you with insufficient length to connect to the new socket, call a qualified electrician who can make a permanent repair. DIY tools are not adequate.

use a new plug and socket from a major UK manufacturer such as Crabtree or MK. You will see some cheap ones on sale that may not be as good.

Stick (No More Nails or similar) a couple of wood blocks to the back of the dishwasher in a place where there's no bitumen, to hold it clear of the plug when it's pushed back.

good idea

or if the glue will not hold, stick them to the wall next to the socket so they project slightly more than the plug

good idea

or if the glue will not hold, stick them to the wall next to the socket so they project slightly more than the plug
The trouble with that is the bitumen will stick to the wood blocks. You could stick them to the wall in a place where they won't be in contact with the bitumen.

£6 for a plug? Ha ha.

I also like Duraplug, they stand up to rough handling so are useful for tools and lawnmowers.

Thank you so much for all your responses!
I would like to denote some details in two photographs posted above.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Thank you.
1. Will you suggest we to call an electrical engineer to check the socket's connecting wire inside the wall and replace the socket?
2. Do you think to replace the cable and the plug is quite easy? We seem fail to find where is the junction box of the dishwasher.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back