the price is right ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, ive had a quote of £650 to fit and install a powered flue gas fire and a marble fire surround also about 10 metres of pipework to feed the fire
is that quote OTT ? thanks

MOD

see item 9

Sponsored Links
Not a bad price considering a hole has to be made in the wall, hearth has to bedded in mortar, gas line has to be run concealed to appear inside the builders opening (do ensure the gas line is not bare copper) and gas line has to be provided.

If you are in the middle of the city with no parking then it seems very reasonable.

If you are easily accessible in the country with your own parking then it sounds a bit high.

Why not do the normal three quotes? You should try to get telephone estimates so as not to waste peoples time when you dont intend to give them the job!

Tony

Sponsored Links
If I went to visit free of charge every job I get telephoned about then I would not get any paid work done.

I give a best estimate on the phone based on the information given.

Can you explain how you can "give a free quotation" for repairing a boiler when most of the work is diagnosing the fault and most of the time is travelling for an hour to get there and another hour to get back?

You would spend three hours and the client then just says "No thats too expensive" and then gets and fits the new part himself.

Tony Glazier

ahhh dont you just
kiss3.gif
im

ive lost the plot now :cry:
am i allowed to run the gas pipe from near the connection to where the gas fire is and then get the gas man to connect thus saving me money :?:
and i might as well make the hole in the bloody wall :rolleyes:

sure you can make the hole if you know where it has to be.

leave the gas to the guy

has he allowed for the extra volume on the gas run back to the meter :?:

poshman said:
ive lost the plot now :cry:
am i allowed to run the gas pipe from near the connection to where the gas fire is and then get the gas man to connect thus saving me money :?:
and i might as well make the hole in the b****y wall :rolleyes:

you aint allowed to do sod all mate unless you can prove competance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back