The same but different worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am currently installing my kitchen and need to cut a couple of mitred corner joints(Not butt and scribe). The problem I have is that the pattens on the oak effect worktop do not match up. It is like the finish has not been pulled round the worktop enough the line do not marry up, they are obviously not the same length of worktop but they were broght together so surely you would expect the patterns to line up?
They were brought from Wickes, do you think I have a case for a new worktop and has anyone ever had this problem?

Hope this makes sense, please let me know if not and need more detail.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm having difficulty seeing what you mean. Do your worktops have a "plank effect" pattern printed in the laminate?

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Guys any thoughts?, going to try my luck later to get a new top but just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Ta.

One thing I can say about this is that when I've done kitchen worktops with a planked effect laminate I've always used a mason's mitre jig and I've yet to have a customer complain about it. To me it looks better (i.e. visually less disturbing) than a full width mitre joint. Even doing solid wood worktops I either butt joint or butt joint with a small mitre at the outer edge (if the worktop edge is profiled). As you say the difficulty is getting the planks to line-up, and to be honest I don't think that they're meant to. Lining-up won't be helped by the fact that the corner you're working into is probably not absolutely square. The only real advice I can give is to try marking out your joins from the rear as the flat edge will be easier to work from accurately. Other than that I'm afraid I can't add anything.

Scrit

Scrit,

Thanks, but I have tried taking two straight off cuts from the two lengths and literally just butting them together and the lines dont line up??

this is not right surley??

Thanks

It doesn't sound right, which is why I'd go for a mason's mitre - that's more likely to look acceptable.

Scrit

Yeah thats what I have done, £20 on the router bit and it only lasts a few cuts.

If i want to butt these two worktops together to make it longer than a standard length it looks stupid. I am in contact with Wickes at the moment, but so far they have come out with some spill that if it meets their quality control then there is nothing they can do!!

pcharles said:
If i want to butt these two worktops together to make it longer than a standard length !!

In your earlier post you said you were doing mitred corners?

hermes said:
pcharles said:
If i want to butt these two worktops together to make it longer than a standard length !!

In your earlier post you said you were doing mitred corners?
If at all possible I'd try to avoif end joining worktops. I reckon that they never, ever look right. NBut that's just a personal opinion :rolleyes:

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back