The state of my installation and installing new circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, Just aquired a fan device that fits in roof space to blow air through ceiling to stop condesation in house ( preparing for winter when all teh windows get shut). It comes with a 1 amp fused spur and have been told it could go on to nearest lighting circuit in roof space. Had an electrician friend of a friend in who isnt fully qualified yet who didnt want to fit it for me unyil he had checked up on what his obligations were. Said my installation may neeed a check over as my earths were only 4 mm and should be bigger for a TNS installation. Alos he was not happy as my lights are seem are on 15 amp fusewire circuit when it should be 5. He put a 5 amp wired fuse in and it blew. I am back on a 15 amp fuse at themoment while I work out what to do. He says I need checking out by someone more experienced and he shouldnt fit my fan till I do so. Is he being silly, overcautious or is he right? I cant afford a rewire this year and fan is on a 1 amp fuse. Could this be a ploy for more work? An opinion would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If your lighting circuit is fused at 15A that's wrong. If it blows a 5A fuse that's wrong.

If you have fusewire your installation is quite old, or very old, and due for an inspection.

Your earth is undersize and needs upgrading.

From what you say your installation is old has has some defects.

It is quite likely to have other defects not spotted yet.

I think your friend is right and has done you a favour.

If as you say your safety is not something you want to spend money on this year he is wise not to get involved.

Thanks for your response so quickly. Its not I dont want to resolve my safety , just cant afford a huge bill this side of xmas. And I am cynical !!! too cycnical maybe, To be fair he did say he wasnt sure and was going to check on wehat he should do and whether it was safe enogh from his point of view just to tell me I needed thinsg sorting out. Said he didnt have liability insurance for fitting thing sto installations liek mine .

I can appreciate his concern, especially as your house is more likely than most to have a problem. I wouldn't want to get the blame for it.

Sponsored Links
rob when you fit 5amp fuse wire when does it blow as soon as you put it in with no lights on , or when you start switching lights on

Sounds like your installation is past its sell by date to be honest rob.

i can appreciatte your friends position too, doesnt want to get involved in an installation when its old and possibly defective.

i see it all the time where people think ''why cant he just fit the fan/ change the socket/ put a spur in.......and forget he's seen that part.''

thing is, people dont understand that the installation as a whole needs to be considered and that things that seem unconnected to the untrained eye might actually be important.

we can all appreciate that spending a couple of grand on a rewire might not be priority A but dont fall into the classic trap off ''if its working it must be alright''

probably the best idea for you rob is to get a periodic inspection done then you'l no where you stand in terms of your wiring.

hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back