The Theory of Everything

This is a good game :LOL: :LOL: Let's narrow it down to region :mrgreen:[/quote]

OK if you insist although for what reason I fail to understand - Durham

Sponsored Links
Just wondering as a couple of my colleagues went to Durham, and I think one was at Trevelyan. Coincidences are just so strange at times :)

I'd never mention names, nor ask for specifics about you, but it would be funny to think that you might have been acquainted with either of them :idea:

Sponsored Links
Just wondering as a couple of my colleagues went to Durham, and I think one was as Trevelyan. Coincidences are just so strange at times :)

Suspect they were there long after me, I was there in the 60's, just after the Cathedral was built, and just before the Castle was constructed!@£$%$£@!@£.

So how about you, where was your university and when?

The Historian was there in the early 60's but I believe your college was for scientists?

As for me I went to a 1960's new build too, slightly south of Coventry in the early 80's. The maths department was at the top of Gibbet Hill, suitably out of harms way from the rest of civilisation :LOL: :LOL:

Okey dokey. We'll leave my hypothesis regarding Hawkins aside.

The question to me is "what is the purpose of physics?".

The answer is so that we don't have to live in caves anymore.
You might as well ask - What has Quantum Physics (or the Romans/Einstein/Newton etc,etc for that matter) done for Us?
Give your head a shake Dexy !!!!

Yes look what physics has given us. The ak 47, the atomic bomb, the hydrogen bomb, nerve gas, etc etc.
Just more advanced ways of killing each other.
And to think that religion held that advance back for centuries.

People still live in caves, indigenous tribes live off the forest, hunter gatherers etc.

What makes your life more fulfilled than theirs?

Being able to write tosh on an internet forum?
Going to b&q to buy cheap chinese materialistic tat to fill your abode with?
Driving a headless horse to work everyday amongst the mundane hordes of zombie like road users?

I think you've written on here about advanced forms of energy and how man needs an alternative right now.
What would it achieve other than to promote population growth and just more killing?

So you'll just have to come up with a more advanced killing method also since you think you are so clever. :rolleyes:

An argument that says "I don't understand the explanation therefore the explanation cannot be true" is ridiculous. It's not the same as saying the explanation doesn't make sense. Truth is absolute, and doesn't depend on the cognition of the listener.

Take aeroplanes. Most people couldn't build one even with limitless resources because they dont' understand the science behind flight. So in their mind there is no way possible for it to work. But the counter-intuitive truth of a heavy metal object floating through the air is proved to everyone when we see a plane take off.

Some truths cannot be seen first hand by the layman as easily as a plane flying by, or by speaking to someone on the telephone wire etc. But they use the same scientific principles to make a best judgement on things like evolution.

Yes look what physics has given us. The ak 47, the atomic bomb, the hydrogen bomb, nerve gas, etc etc.

People still live in caves, indigenous tribes live off the forest, hunter gatherers etc.

Driving a headless horse to work everyday amongst the mundane hordes of zombie like road users?

I think you've written on here about advanced forms of energy and how man needs an alternative right now.
What would it achieve other than to promote population growth and just more killing?

So you'll just have to come up with a more advanced killing method also since you think you are so clever. :rolleyes:

Selective arguments again Norcon.
Just look at the barbarity purported and recommended in your Bible. The giving away of children to their enemies etc, we need not go on, but don't use selective arguments to try and make a point. It just does not work.

Selective arguments again Norcon.
Just look at the barbarity purported and recommended in your Bible. The giving away of children to their enemies etc, we need not go on, but don't use selective arguments to try and make a point. It just does not work.

So when you don't have any answers you attack the Bible.
Typical.
:rolleyes:

An argument that says "I don't understand the explanation therefore the explanation cannot be true" is ridiculous.
Indeed and precisely my point. We cannot possibly comprehend that there are an uncountably infinite number of universes and an uncountably different and contradicting "truths" because we haven't the capacity to imagine what they would be like. But that doesn't mean that they can't possibly exist.

Wrong side of bed Norcs?

Everything that mankind has done has been with the intention of making things easier and more efficient for himself. You are correct, of course, that this has also included weaponry. But not all.

Not the only solution, obviously, as you well know. Educating people and pursuading them not to procreate willy nilly seems to be a more sensible solution.

"Everything that mankind has done has been with the intention of making things easier and more efficient for himself"

And therein lies the problem. The last word in your sentence "himself"
An outside alien looking in on this planet would just recite....
selfish, selfish, selfish ....

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
Philippians 2:3

"Everything that mankind has done has been with the intention of making things easier and more efficient for himself"

And therein lies the problem. The last word in your sentence "himself"
An outside alien looking in on this planet would just recite....
selfish, selfish, selfish ....
:eek: :eek: :eek: I assume Mrs Norcs has been giving Mr Norcs a hard time over emptying the dishwasher again this morning?? :LOL: :LOL:

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
Philippians 2:3
Amen to that brother, Amen. ;)

An argument that says "I don't understand the explanation therefore the explanation cannot be true" is ridiculous.
Indeed and precisely my point. We cannot possibly comprehend that there are an uncountably infinite number of universes and an uncountably different and contradicting "truths" because we haven't the capacity to imagine what they would be like. But that doesn't mean that they can't possibly exist.

You said that your creationist friends observation that the evidence didn't show micro evolution in the fossil record was a valid observation, yet I would say this is an example of him not seeing what he expects to see due to his understanding capability and basing his beliefs off that.

Sponsored Links
Back