The times they are a changin'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wired my home 20 years ago and it does not conform to 16th regs. Come jan 21 a strange phenomenon! My installation will conform to the 17th without me lifting a finger! How good is that?

Sponsored Links
The reason it doesn't comply is that currently I have no supplementary bonding in the bathroom. However as all circuits are RCD protected this will comply with the 17th as no SB will be required when the new regs come into force

Sponsored Links
Yes RF and it has tripped less than 10 times in 20 years. Memeory serves me correctly the trips were caused by cooker, washing machine, immersion. Even with computers working it is ok (30ma RCD)

A single RCD for a dwelling will not comply.

Supplementary equipontial bonding can only be omitted if all the bathroom circuits are RCD protected AND there is main equipotential bonding - which I doubt you have, and I certainly bet it aint 10mm.

im a kitchen fitter and i reckon that i install gas and/or water
main bonding on 8 out of 10 fits that i do

Yes upgraded main eb to 10mm and me to 16mm some time ago. I posted this item to get you experienced guys to comment as I value your posts. You could say I was being provacative. Def from a safety view point is not good if all your lights go in the dark and I am aware of this ssue. However, according to http://www.elecsa.org.uk/downloads/public/3382 Factsheet.pdf the following passage appears:
Modified sections
All of the following Sections have been modified to accommodate the regulations
contained in the European HD’s.
701 – Locations containing a bath or a shower particularly the changes from the
16th Edition are substantial:
• Zones 0, 1 & 2 as defined in the 16th Edition are retained. Zone 3 is
being removed. New regulations require all circuits supplying equipment in
the bathrooms to be protected by 30 mA RCDs.
• Supplementary equipotential bonding is no longer required providing the
main bonding of services within the property is in place.
• SELV (separated extra low voltage) socket outlets and shaver socket outlets
are permitted outside Zone 1. 230 V socket outlets are permitted
provided they are more than 3 metres from Zone 1.

Surely in essence my installation complies with bs7671 although not in the spirit?

I've heard a different version of things, so I'll reserve judgement until I have actually read a final published copy of the 17th edition.

yes you guys are right, until we get the book nothing is cut in stone, odds on a different chapter will throw up a few proviso's on this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back