Thermal Calcs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help / advice please.
Do I need thermal calcs for an extension - Garage conversion with bedroom over? - Can I just specify the insulation type and thickness on the Breg drawings.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You might save an argument (and time) if you start by setting out what you believe is the result of the heat loss calculation.

I've never had to provide calcs for building regs applications for domestic jobs, you can normally use the literature on the web to work it out how thick it needs to be if its a decent make of insulation and its a simple design, in any case thermal calcs are nearly always carried out these days by the manufacturer via email or phone/fax and are free anyway. They'll just ask you for the wall/roof/floor make-up, do their cal on a bit of software and then send it back to you saying how thick the insulation needs to be. Kingspan have an excellent helpline these days, Celotex used to be good but they seem too stretched/busy these days. Problem can sometimes arise when you use 'Fred Bloggs' insulation from the local builder’s yard that the building inspectors never heard of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back