Things getting a bit silly at Wickes!

K

kai

You can buy a Wylex unit for GBP 24.99. now, as a 16 module format.
Take your pick from three choices for the one price.

Just ONE Rcd and a mainswitch only.
Dual Rcd's plus a Mainswitch 17th edition.
Fully Populated with 2 RCD's a Mainswitch and Ten MCB's.

I will always go for the fully populated unit for the same price - Who won't!

Sponsored Links
Not that I think so - I bought that option myself, and the components inside look and feel top quality - and HEAVY too. A FULL solid steel din-rail too, giving a secure breaker fixing, not the cheap half rail you see on some older Wylex Boards!

Sponsored Links
At that value price, they sure sell quickly - a breaker alone is around three quid, ten breakers alone would be worth the price of that consumer board!

Screwfix charge Double that price on the same model of Board!

Wholesaler was getting rid of their Wylex boards for similar money. They all want the plastic gone!

Wholesaler was getting rid of their Wylex boards for similar money. They all want the plastic gone!
Won't there still be a market/demand for plastic ones for non-domestic use - or is nearly all of the commercial stuff done in metal already?

Kind Regards, John

It's always been metal in commercial / industrial jobs. Personally I'm glad to see the back of all these crappy plastic boards.

So you have never in your whole working life seen one pub, one café, one hairdressers, one small office etc with a plastic CU?

Ahh the good old tell tale sign of a domestic electrician working in a commercial environment.

So you have never in your whole working life seen one pub, one café, one hairdressers, one small office etc with a plastic CU?
Indeed - and very recently I was in a large new office complex (no more than ~5 years old) which seemed to have plastic CUs all over the place.

Kind Regards, John

I've also seen stuff like this. Just because it exists, doesn't make it right

image.jpeg

I've also seen stuff like this. Just because it exists, doesn't make it right
I wasn't saying anything about what is 'right' - merely that (even if you feel there shouldn't be) there appears to be an ongoing market for plastic CUs in non-domestic environments.

Kind Regards, John

It's always been metal in commercial / industrial jobs. Personally I'm glad to see the back of all these crappy plastic boards.
Seeing how they've gone in recent years, I have to agree. If we were talking about the Wylex Standards of 40 years ago that would be a different matter, but is there any plastic CU on the British market now which isn't flimsy junk?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back