Third World Clothing Collection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you spare any of your old unwanted clothes which will be sent to the Third World where the garments will be carefully sorted and worn again

COLLECTION DAY IS FRIDAY

WE URGENTLY NEED CLOTHING

We will be grateful if you could kindly donate your unwanted ladies, gents and childrens clothing, blankets, sheets, shoes, handbags, curtains, belts, bath and hand towels, underwear, cosmetics, toiletries, perfumes.

Please put these items into plastic bag/bags and leave visible outside your front door from 9am on the day indicated above. To help us with identification, please stick this leaflet onto the bag.

Helpmates limited is a commercial collecting company who provides people in third World countries with clothes for their families they can afford. It provides jobs in third world countries, sorting the clothes for distribution. It provides business for UK export, for transfort companies. It rpovides employment in the UK factories grading the clothes. It provides employment for people collecting the bags door to door.

Whatever the weather we will collect between 9am and 7pm
Thankyou for helping us to help others

HELPMATES LIMITED (company registration no 5780892)
Phone no 01708230027

GOD WILL REWARD FOR YOUR GOOD HEARTS
This is the whole text from a single sided leaflet that came through our door. Does anyone believe a word of it? Why cant they give us a location where my clothes are going to? Third world is very vague. And why the god reference? I thought companies couldn't accept donations???

Sponsored Links
They ARE sent to the Third World - where they are sold at a profit.

Sponsored Links
Thing you all forget is:

Q What would some one in a 3rd world country want with an overcoat, or a mac (the one you wear) jumper etc

A They dont

its also like "sponsor a goat" they dont want the goat, they can not feed it, let alone feed themselves.
Goats were sent to 3rd world contries, but they could not control them or penn then in, well they did but as they could not feed / water the goats they broke out and ate almost anything they can (not the goats fault)

so please dont sponsor any animal for the 3rd world this Chritmas or any other time

kevplumb said:
i got one of the leaflets as well first thought was it's a con

prob is i'm still wearing the clothes :D :D :D
what that people donated? :eek:

I wish i could donate but i dont wear any cra...p all my stuff is designer wear and if yea think im gonna give it away think again Bonzo yea can have mi sweaty undies and socz.

BOB D.O.L.E said:
I wish i could donate but i dont wear any cra...p all my stuff is designer wear and if yea think im gonna give it away think again Bonzo yea can have mi sweaty undies and socz.
wouldnt need to leave them in a bag for collection, theyd probably walk on their own. ;)

BOB D.O.L.E said:
I wish i could donate but i dont wear any cra...p all my stuff is designer wear

4.jpg

I don't think so BOB! :D

Crafty said:
Can you spare any of your old unwanted clothes which will be sent to the Third World where the garments will be carefully sorted and worn again

COLLECTION DAY IS FRIDAY

WE URGENTLY NEED CLOTHING

We will be grateful if you could kindly donate your unwanted ladies, gents and childrens clothing, blankets, sheets, shoes, handbags, curtains, belts, bath and hand towels, underwear, cosmetics, toiletries, perfumes.

Please put these items into plastic bag/bags and leave visible outside your front door from 9am on the day indicated above. To help us with identification, please stick this leaflet onto the bag.

Helpmates limited is a commercial collecting company who provides people in third World countries with clothes for their families they can afford. It provides jobs in third world countries, sorting the clothes for distribution. It provides business for UK export, for transfort companies. It rpovides employment in the UK factories grading the clothes. It provides employment for people collecting the bags door to door.

Whatever the weather we will collect between 9am and 7pm
Thankyou for helping us to help others

HELPMATES LIMITED (company registration no 5780892)
Phone no 01708230027

GOD WILL REWARD FOR YOUR GOOD HEARTS
This is the whole text from a single sided leaflet that came through our door. Does anyone believe a word of it? Why cant they give us a location where my clothes are going to? Third world is very vague. And why the god reference? I thought companies couldn't accept donations???

Do what I do Crafty, ignore the bags and donate to charity shops of your choice: maybe it's not so easy when you're not in a city but I have a charity shop literally at the end of my road. When I have clothes that are out of season I take them up there - never when they're closed (if you leave them in bags outside they'll be stolen) - i always take them in and they're grateful, most of the stuff I donate is less than a year old so it's still saleable for a decent price. I've been doing this for the last two years, probably the "retail" value of the clothes I've donated runs into hundreds, but my karma was rewarded a couple of months ago - they had a couple of white Ikea chairs which were stained beyond belief - they had no way of cleaning them in the shop so I got them FOC. A bit of Vanish and elbow grease and they're lovely in my flat, so I will continue to support them...

Often the clothes collected this way are used to make industrial cleaning rags and for other re-cycling uses and the products sold for profit.

From an article I read in this months Which? magazine........

Gangs target charity clothes collections
They steal bags and sell the clothes themselves

Charity doorstep clothes collections are increasingly being targeted by bogus collectors, Which? can reveal.

The collections are a vital source of income for charities but millions of pounds are being creamed off each year.

Gangs in unmarked vans are stealing bags from doorsteps before the real collectors arrive.

Clothes Aid, the collection agent for Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH), London, says these gangs use leaflets so they can shadow legitimate collection teams.

Leaflets
In the past the leaflets used false charity numbers but now they've become more sophisticated, stating they're commercial collection companies.

The bogus collectors are then selling their clothes to the same agents in Europe as Clothes Aid but making a bigger profit.

Wholesalers in Lithuania report that these collectors bring over 20 lorry loads more a week than the legitimate agents.

In the last 18 months Clothes Aid has seen the theft problem get far worse.

Prosecution
But the Association of Charity Shops (ACS), which includes charities that make house to- house collections, told us that when its members have reported bogus collectors to the police, little action has been taken.

And despite 80 arrests – mainly of Lithuanian nationals – there’s been only one prosecution.

If a collector is masquerading as a UK charity, the Charity Commission and trading standards officers can take action.

But the commission says it’s powerless if there’s no mention of a charitable cause or if the charity is actually based abroad.

Trading Standards
And the Office of Fair Trading admitted to us that trading standards officers have had ‘limited success’ stopping this activity where leaflets have stated they’re from commercial collecting companies.

The police have also found it hard to prosecute. Under the Theft Act a victim is needed, but often it’s not possible to find out which house a bag has come from, and technically the bag doesn’t belong to the charity until it’s in the collection van.

Government representatives recently met charities and enforcement agencies to discuss the problem. The government believes that raising awareness is vital, and the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) has written to chief constables about the issue.

The ACS’s code of practice requires collection organisations to clearly print charity details on its collection bags.

David Moir, of ACS, says: ‘We’re doing all we can, but it’s up to the police and other agencies to stop this because it’s despicable.’

ninebob said:
When I have clothes that are out of season I take them up there

Have you not realised that seasons come round again, i.e Last summers shirt may be worn the following summer (usually!) :LOL: :D

Sponsored Links
Back