Tiling into a corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
When tiling into a corner do you have to allow for expansion / contraction.
I mean do you butt the tiles up to each other or leave a gap - if they are butted up surely you can't put grout in and if they expand what then?
I was thinking to fix them so the front edges of the tiles are set so there is just a grout line apart at the inner corners.
Fixing them this way means that there will be a "square" of empty space the thickness of the tile + cement in the very corner of the wall.
Hope that makes sense but this is around a bath with a shower above and I am thinking once the hot water hits the tiles they could expand a little.
Any help greatly appreciated.
G.

Sponsored Links
You're right in thinking not to butt tiles up in a corner but for the wrong reasons. Don't worry about expansion of tiles, be more worried about wall movement.
Ok, so here's what you do. Tile the back wall first and leave about 2mm gap at the corner. Then tile the wall that's 90° to it. Don't butt the tiles up. Try and leave a 2mm gap again.
Once the tiling is finished, don't grout the gap - silicone it. Like this:

corner.JPG

Love the drawing - I tried to draw what I had in mind couldn't figure it out.
Well done !!!
Looks right - thinking of what I was going to do there would have been a void - now there is something for the silicone to adhere to - was dubious about grout - mate of mine is having horrendous problems with grout constantly cracking around the bath. Not as easy as it seems is it !!!!!

thanks a lot.

G.

Tiles get Blown when butted in corners .. seen whole walls cracking coming away cause some numpty "tiler " has grouted in expansion joints ...
3mm is most needed an silcone can hide all corners nicely as gcol(lol)
has superbly drawn here ;)

Sponsored Links
won't the silicone be a slightly different shade of colour to the grout?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back