To say, or not to say, that is the question

Would you speak out about the situation described, or something similar ?

• Yes - even though it's nothing to do with me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - safety is everyone's concern and it's my duty to speak up

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • No - they've made the choice to go there, not my concern

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • No - I feel should do but I don't want to be seen to be interfering

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Not sure - different situations might get different responses

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Powder explosions are a significant risk in many industries - not just coal, but sugar and flour/grain dust are also well known explosion risks.
Don't forget trinitrotoluene and nitroglycerin, they are an explosion risk too.
And farts.

Sponsored Links
theyd have been better off with fred dibna, in his hard hat and hi-viz, oh wait he wore overalls and a flat cap so all his years of experience in demolition would have counted for nothing as they wouldnt have let him on site

When I saw the shape of the dust cloud forming, it put me in mind of a collapse, not an explosion.

The debris also looked like a pile, didn't see anything thrown around.
I would agree with that. I'd only heard about it at the time, and reports (we know how accurate they can be) talked about an explosion. I suppose to many people, the sound of a building that size coming down could be interpreted as an explosion.
I dare say the experts will come up with answers in time.

Where I used to work (a lot of years ago now) they used to send the apprentices to visit the local coal fired power station - long since gone, but there's a gas turbine station there. After one visit, all the apprentices came back dressed in nothing but CEGB overalls. Turns out that they'd been lighting the boilers, and there's always a risk of a buildup of coal dust in the flue which then "goes off" when it lights. There's big flaps in the base of the flue to let the pressure out, and the apprentices were walking along a gangway near these when it happened - got covered heat to toe in coal dust, snet to the showers, and clothes sent for laundry.

Don't forget trinitrotoluene and nitroglycerin, they are an explosion risk too.
And farts.
Farts maybe, but TNT and nitro aren't the sort of thing you might expect to find in a disused power station boilerhouse - so the relevance is ? Oh yes, you don't like me or my attitude to safety so you want to score cheap shots.

Oh yes, you don't like me or my attitude to safety so you want to score cheap shots.
Don't flatter yourself Si.
I just thought you were putting a blanket nationwide alert on all things dangerous. Far be it from me to slow you down in your noble crusade.
Let me know when you fancy doing something worthwhile though.

Sponsored Links
Can anybody here explain why the fact that (no doubt) hard hats and safety boots would not have protected workers from the effect of several hundred tons of steel and concrete falling on them from a great height means that nobody should ever use PPE or ever take any safety precautions?

Please note that if providing an explanation it would be helpful if you could tick the appropriate box:

[ ] My explanation is reasoned, intelligent and logical

[ ] My explanation is that of a stupid t**t.

Christ almighty! Not only do we have to put up with dull posts, we now have to put up wth dull posts posted by fat people with bad breath.

Christ almighty! Not only do we have to put up with dull posts, we now have to put up wth dull posts posted by fat people with bad breath.
So your total contribution to a reasoned discussion is personal insults based on no evidence whatsoever. So very grown up.
And no, you don't "have to put up with" any posts - you can simply stop reading the thread (unsubscribe for alerts if you have them set) and you'll see none of them. That you suggest you "have to put up with" suggests something of a disconnect between your mindset and reality. You can even put both myself and BAS on a block list if you really don't want to see our posts. I doubt you'll do either, you'll probably continue reading and moaning about "having to put up with" them.

Christ almighty. Not only do we have to put up with dull posts, we now have to put up wth dull posts posted by fat people with bad breath.
Was that post a reasoned, intelligent and logical one
Not especially but so very true.
Do you have a reasoned, intelligent, logical explanation of why, if someone were fat and/or had bad breath they would therefore be wrong about H&S requirements?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back