triton electric shower kaput?

mega_kas said:
softus - you certainly have a way of making your point.

I don't want me or my family in a morgue because of a fire.
Well, this is a serious subject.

I've done a bit of reading about dangerous overcurrent faults and cable selection (section 1.4 and 1.5):

http://www.kevinboone.com/cableselection_web.html[/QUOTE]
You could do a lot worse - KB's article is very well written and is right on the money.

So an 8500W shower will draw 35.41a current.

So the question now is - will my 6mm cable stand 46.4amps for 1 hour without overheating?
There are some circumstances when the answer to this is "no".

There are even some circumstances where 6mm² won't survive the cumulative effect of 35.41A.

There are no [plausible] circumstances [in normal use] where 10mm² won't survive the cumulative effect of 35.41A.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reading the post - appreciated.
Can you let me know the circumstances where the 6mm won't take the 46.4 and even the 35.4a please?

I've checked my cable run and it seems to bea run of about 10m CU - then direct clipped for approx 2.5 metres - then under floorboards - then 1m up shower masonary wall.

Trouble is the shower is 1st floor but I can't be sure the cable doesn't go into loft (converted) along some clips on chipboard floor in eaves through insulated wall then back down to bathroom.

On balance, with a circuit length of 10m & no derating factors involved, I would be happy to fit an 8.5kW shower to 6mm² cable protected by a 40A breaker.

However, you need to check the EFLI is satisfactory.

Don't forget, the shower is a fixed load, it will not exceed 37A (@ 230V).

And that RCD....it is an 80A unit, isn't it?

Cheers -
well I have a 32a MCB fitted so that should be even safer.

RCCB (RCD?) is 80a / 30ma and the main input for the CU is 100a

I have no idea what EFLI is :)

Sponsored Links
It is not good practice to run any overcurrent protective device above its design value. An MCB should trip within 1 hour at 1.45x its rating but often is a lot less than this, but this is besides the point. 32A MCB is 32A MAX circuit design.

EFLI is earth fault loop impedance. It is important that this is low enough to trip the MCB quickly (0.1s) in the event of a fault.
Since you are not sure all I can advise is for you to call an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back