TV Package is up for renewal.

Sponsored Links
I also read once that somewhere in the USA in one of the northern states on the Great Lakes were having 911 calls answered by Canadian emergency services on the other side of the lake. Can't find it to check if it's true or an urban legend, but as I can attest from personal experience that a roaming enabled phone in Dover will connect to a French network, it has the ring of truth about it.

Not if it isn't working. Not if its battery is flat. Not if something has gone wrong with the hardware or the software on what is quite a powerful computer. Not if there is no radio signal. Not if the network has significant problems.
That is a lot of 'ifs'. You also forget that virtually everyone has a mobile phone these days so your ifs are even more tenuous.

But never, ever, EVER give up also having a traditional hard-wired POTS phone.
Agree. However, if there were a choice - mobile v's landline, not a single person on the planet would choose their landline.

Probably.

Sponsored Links
Land lines go down all the time. Nobody knows because nobody relies on them anymore.

Land lines go down all the time. Nobody knows because nobody relies on them anymore.

In this area mobile phone coverage by two providers is very poor. A leak in a water water flooded the communications equipment rooms in the base of the tower. For about three months until the leak was fixed and the rooms dried out the micro-wave links to three mobile phone masts were on very limited service.

There will always be a need for land lines.

That is a lot of 'ifs'.
It is. And it doesn't need them all to happen, only one of them. So the fact that there are a lot is of concern.

You also forget that virtually everyone has a mobile phone these days so your ifs are even more tenuous.
No they are not - the fact that mobile phone usage is so widespread doesn't make those potential problems less likely to happen, it means that when they do they affect more people. Like the 10's of millions who would have been unable to use their mobile phones to summon emergency assistance on December 6th 2018.

However, if there were a choice - mobile v's landline, not a single person on the planet would choose their landline.
It wouldn't be a happy choice to make, and I'm not sure that nobody would pick the landline if they had to.

But they don't have to. Nobody has suggested that that is a choice anyone has to make.

The suggestion is that this
Scrap the landline
is very unwise, and I'm not the only person to say so.

The suggestion is that this
Scrap the landline,
is very unwise, and I'm not the only person to say so.
You pays your money and you takes your choice.
I haven't had a landline for a good while, and I don't miss it. And I am financially better off, considerably better off.
In fact, when I did have the landline, I invariably used the mobile.
Cancelling the landline, the landline based internet, and the Sky package saves me about £75 per month.
Granted, some of that saving is lost on the mobile based internet connection, which is more convenient for me. But it still leaves me about £50 per month better off.
It's horses for courses, IMO.

Have fibre broadband, landline and two mobile phones , EE( me and mrs) unlimited calls and texts and 4gb data each.Total cost £37 month .
Use a friends Netflix account for free and download any films or Sky tv series free .

Sponsored Links
Back