TV Solution (new build)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a stud wall and her indoors wants a tv mounted on it, this would be on a full range bracket so that i can be spun around to be viewed from either side (i think you can get these).

I want to do this the best way so that cables are more or less hidden ie power and satellite cables.

Whats the best method here?

I could hide the power and sat feed in the wall and have it exposed using one of those furry plate things or i could just install a socket and satellite on the wall behind the tv above (or below) the bracket

Whats the best way here?

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Have you thought that you may need to reinforce the plasterboard wall, to take the weight, especially if the bracket allows the set to swing out from the wall?

Plates, with sockets on the wall, would be the neatest solution and easier to replace the flexibles should they get damaged.

Yeah once i have decided on a solution i will ensure that there are extra noggins etc to take the weight, it will not be hanging off of the plasterboard.

So what we are suggesting here is to put the bracket up, the put in a socket (single) for the power lead and another for the satellite feed and leave it external behind the tv

It will depend on the TV, there are versions where all the control stuff is in a box, and all the display requires is power, I look at mine and three HDMI cables, satellite coax, terrestrial coax, USB and power all which go up the centre of the stand and below TV is blue ray player, hard drive, sky box etc.

This it the problem of wall mounting there are so many cables.

Sponsored Links
I'm wondering about this bracket and whether these actually exist. I want something that will go flat to the wall but will be able to be pulled out to 90 degrees to the left so that the tv can be viewed from the left but also need it so that i can be viewed from the right as well, is there such a thing, tv is going to be placed on a wall mid point between kitchen and dining room and want it to be viewed from either the kitchen (to the right) and the dining room (to the left) not at the same time obvs. Just want to make sure this is possible, cant seem to find anything on these

Unless you go massive, TVs are way way lighter than 5-10 years ago.
If you ever lifted a 50" plasma back in the day you'd understand.

The leverage will be the hardest issue.

If it was me at the point of the wall being built I'd include a 3-4" wide run vertically behind the TV so that cables can be dropped with no noggins getting in the way.
Allow some method of getting stuff like Cat6/aerial/satelite cable to that area.
I'd go for a mains socket at floor level under the TV with one run up behind the TV as well. That way there is scope for DVD/Satelite/DVR/Surround system later.
My Sony TVs have a power brick that could be cable tied to the TV bracket at the back.

On each side of the channel, I'd include a load of ply/timber that will allow good fixings for whatever bracket you use.
Photograph the timbers before plasterboard is added and take measurements

The bracket you need is an elbow - maybe with tilt
Obviously you need to check the overall arm length is greater than 1/2 the width of the tV or the screen will hit the wall before 90 degrees

Last edited:
Bear in mind there are USUALLY wooden noggins at around 1200mm from the floor, which may help or hinder you.

I'm wondering about this bracket and whether these actually exist. I want something that will go flat to the wall but will be able to be pulled out to 90 degrees to the left so that the tv can be viewed from the left but also need it so that i can be viewed from the right as well, is there such a thing, tv is going to be placed on a wall mid point between kitchen and dining room and want it to be viewed from either the kitchen (to the right) and the dining room (to the left) not at the same time obvs. Just want to make sure this is possible, cant seem to find anything on these

Yes, I have one on my 50" living room TV. It is mounted close to a corner, so has to pivot out some way to be viewable. Flat to the wall, it takes up a little more space out from the wall, than one which would not swing out. I don't use one to be able to move it regularly, just to be able to achieve the angle out from the wall corner. It has three pivot points TVo-----o------owall bracket. You would need to ensure the distance between two of the pivot points, is at least half the width of the TV, to enable to to swing out to a full 90 deg to the wall.

A bracket bolts to the back of the TV, that bracket then simply hooks onto the main part and its arm, fixed on the wall - it can then be slide across side to side, to get a reasonable balance of the TV's weight on the bracket. The big problem is that the TV's weight, twists bracket as it swings, so the TV needs some levelling after being moved.

Yeah once i have decided on a solution i will ensure that there are extra noggins etc to take the weight, it will not be hanging off of the plasterboard.

So what we are suggesting here is to put the bracket up, the put in a socket (single) for the power lead and another for the satellite feed and leave it external behind the tv
Put in a double socket. When you get a streaming box or something else you'll be glad you did.

Don't forget to put mains and LAN cables in at the same time.

Broadband is needed on most new TV's for additional services

Run the LAN cable(s) back to where your Broadband Router will 'live'.

Maybe even a cord to help 'pull in' new or replacement cables.

Yeah i think i need to look into the bracket a bit more re the sizing etc, not sure at the moment what size tv to be fair so the positioning of it will be key.

Still a bit unsure as to what to do about power, i know i have to get it up to the tv level (there will be a corresponding one below but doubt if it will be used for anything other than a hoover)

My issue at the moment is what to do at the top end regarding termination, i need power and sat feeds but unsure whether to hide them inside a hole (like a sync box) or surface mount

This it the problem of wall mounting there are so many cables.

I manage with 1 power and 1 HDMI cable. I don't bother with an aerial.

How? The TV has built-in wifi and I have a 4x1 HDMI switch in the cabinet with the cable box, streaming box and blu-ray player.
If i wanted to use wired LAN instead of wifi that's only 1 more cable.

i think that what i will do is install a double socket and a slim satellite feed socket. The reason for the double socket is we use powerline and maybe at some point the tv might need internet access as wifi is pretty rubbish in my place.

Thanks for all the help here guys, appreciate it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back