Twin and Earth in Conduit - permitted under regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a approx 5m run of cable in my garage that I need to replace, its currently temporarily a bit of twin and earth cable-tied to the wall.

I want to use 20mm black plastic conduit to make it neat and tidy, is it permissible to run twin and earth inside conduit or does it need to be replaced with individual insulated wires?

I have the twin and earth but I don't have any individual reels and as its only 5m i was hoping to use what i have !

TIA

Sponsored Links
As Harry says, prefectly acceptable and a pretty common arrangement but obvioulsy bends are more tricky.. 2x 2.5mm will go down a striaght 20mm, but don't think about doing it if there are any bends or more than the slightest set. 1 x2.5mm would go through one bend if you are careful/steady. It can be difficult to get the radius to draw out T/E at BESA boxes.

For a domestic garage, consider clipped direct at high level with striaght vertical drops to points in conduit

Sponsored Links
It is 6mm twin and earth I am using, it is a bit over spec (max inrush current is expected to be 35 amp and normal 22 amp - 5000watt), as a follow up having realised how stiff my cable is, I am considering stripping the wires out of the cable and using them separately (i have a separate run of 6mm Earth that I can use as the T&E earth is uninsulated). Is that allowed? it is only a short run.

I am considering stripping the wires out of the cable and using them separately (i have a separate run of 6mm Earth that I can use as the T&E earth is uninsulated). Is that allowed? it is only a short run.

No, that is not allowed - the insulation of the cores in T&E are designed to be encapsulated in the extra grey overall protection.

No, that is not allowed - the insulation of the cores in T&E are designed to be encapsulated in the extra grey overall protection.

Thanks, Harry I thought that might be the case, I will have to have a word with my electrician friend and see if he can help with the short length of wire I need ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back