Unused water tanks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a property where the boiler and hot tank where replaced about 5 years ago (it is now a potterton and a ozo hotwater unvented water tank). I found 3 water tanks in the attic which seem to be unused.

I need to make sure they are unused as I want to get rid of them. I went up there and ran the cold + hot taps and the level of the water did not change, which would suggest that they are not used. However when I went up there the tanks were both still full of water. I would assume that evaporation would have made them empty by now (one was uncovered).

So is there a way to definitively check that the water tanks are not being used?

Sponsored Links
check any pipework off them is capped off. check all the outlets.
is their still a ballvalve connected to the mains ?

if you dont own the whole building they may belong to other flats !!!!

if you dont own the whole building they may belong to other flats !!!!
We own the whole building, if it is still connected to someone else property then they are being a little cheeky ;)

Sponsored Links
If they are not being used then at least drain them as the water may have been there years! ;)

check any pipework off them is capped off. check all the outlets.
is their still a ballvalve connected to the mains ?

I will check if the pipes were capped off, but could it be that it was capped off not on the water tank side but somewhere else?

I don't know about the ballvalve. I suspect it might still be connected to the mains for filling up, that would explain why there is still water in the tank after all this time.

Another point is that neither water was hot. I would assume that the tank covered in insulation was the hot water tank and it was cold.

If they are not being used then at least drain them as the water may have been there years! ;)

The two big tanks had surprisingly clear water, which was a little worrying, the little one was looking pretty lively.

I was a little scared to even look in the covered one. :eek:

Another point is that neither water was hot. I would assume that the tank covered in insulation was the hot water tank and it was cold.

it won't be hot it just supplies the hot water cylinder with cold water the water is heated in the cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back