Up-to-date thoughts on Fluless gas fires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read a lot of negative comments on Fluless gas fires but they are from quite old threads going back a few years. Has anybody got any more up-to-date thoughts on the saftey and performance.

Also just to confirm do they work in the same way a gas cooker works, a cooker can be on for hours and that seems to work.

Sponsored Links
Stills stupid idea... A cooker gets used daily, and a fault is apparent as we all know what the flame and burner looks like..a flue less gas fire is used infrequently and users do not pick up on possible failings...

They are totally different from gas cookers!
They have a catalytic converter to remove the dangerous combustion products, a cooker does not.
Make what you will of the scare stories, but bear in mind the room where the fire is fitted MUST have ventilation to outside air. This hole in the wall will cause you discomfort.
There are countless thousands of these appliances fitted worldwide and are approved for use in domestic situations. I have no problem with them and have worked on many. If they are regularly serviced and safety checked, and the end user abides with the regulations on their use then no problem.
Your call.

They are using the oxygen from your room. They are giving off water vapour and carbon dioxide in significant quantities. They are also giving off small quantities of carbon monoxide which is very poisonous, and other undesirable gases. You must have permanently open fixed ventilation.

I will not have one in my house.

Sponsored Links
They cause damp in the room.

Why have one when you can have a perfectly good one that
doesn't put it's products into the room.

But aren't they 99% efficient.

They are yes as they have no flue so all the heat they generate ends up in the same room.

However, as has been stated earlier in the thread, you need a whacking great big air vent permanently open so the room will always be draughty and lose heat quickly whether the fire is on or not

You do it if you wish. I would not.

Don't forget that you must have a huge permanent ventilation opening.

You do it if you wish. I would not.

Don't forget that you must have a huge permanent ventilation opening.

My problem is that you all just keep saying its not a good idea and comment on massive ventilation and catalysts.

I have looked at a model that needs a 100cm2 vent which is not different from the one I have and does not need a catalyst. That is why I have asked for some up-to-date info from somebody that has fitted or had one recently.

I have looked at a model that needs a 100cm2 vent which is not different from the one I have and does not need a catalyst. That is why I have asked for some up-to-date info from somebody that has fitted or had one recently.
100cm2 is correct sized vent. Its a fair old draught when the wind is blowing through it.
All flueless fires have a catalyst built in to them.

Why do you already have a 100cm2 vent?

If you say it's because u already have a flued fire then why would u want flueless

Gary27, Why not tell us upfront what you have and are considering? It saves a lot of frustration caused by you feeding in snippets of info. It p155es me off for a start. :rolleyes:

Gary27, Why not tell us upfront what you have and are considering? It saves a lot of frustration caused by you feeding in snippets of info. It p155es me off for a start. :rolleyes:

Sorry don't mean to be a pain. I have an old fire with a flu. I am into efficiency, I have solar PV, electric bike etc etc. I want to revamp my lounge and have come across these 100% efficient fires and was interests on what you though as some older posts were not very positive. So with me it's all about efficiency, but still I don't want to make mistake. I have look at a model that has no cat and requires a 100cm2 vent. So am just interested in have they improved over the last few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back