upgrading shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read aome of the posts and need some help. We currently have a 7.5kw electric shower, we have 6mm cable and a 30amp fuse at present. What is the highest kw shower we can go to without changing the cable. Dont mind changing the amp fuse, but trying to do without changing the cable. We had bought a 9.5kw shower to replace it with and 10mm cable and 50 amp fuse, but we have found that we might have difficulty changing the existing cable from where it is positioned. Also is there a maximum length that the cable can be used, i.e we think that our cable at present stretches a distance of 10 metres, is it ok to longer than 10 metres. Please help with advice.

Sponsored Links
thank you to ban-all-sheds for that very blunt reply. I have now read every post listed IN FULL to try and get the answer to my post.

doughnutter said:
thank you to ban-all-sheds for that very blunt reply. I have now read every post listed IN FULL to try and get the answer to my post.

You have to see it from others point of view. It gets a bit frustrating typing the same answer to the same question.

Now that you have read the other posts do you want to refine your question so that posters can give you a more specific answer?

Sponsored Links
Thank you to Pensdown for your friendly reply, we have some kind of idea that the cable is correct and the amp is correct for the size of shower that we would like to use. Think it is just a case of changing that cable after all!!!! Thanks again

I'm glad that BAS's advise helped.

PS. I didn't read his reply as blunt - just to the point

;) ok got that...... just another point, the pull switch that we have in the bathroom does that have to be upgraded aswell???

Hopefully this question has not been answered MANY TIMES BEFORE EH!! LOL... :!: :!: :!:

If you intend to fit a 50amp MCB then you will need a 50amp pull switch. If you fit a 45amp MCB you can use a 45amp switch or a 50amp switch

There are load of links for the switch, most end up at TLC-direct..they must love this site.

I'm off home now but if you need more info I'm sure some of the other passers by will be happy to help

Remember, you ask the questions and so long as your not to sarcastic when you don't like the answer then other people who read the posts will try and help ;)

<Customer services is now closed

Thank you pensdown for your advice, it has been taken wisely. My last post was meant to be a joke and not sarcasm, so I apologise to whom ever has read it that way.
I hope this wont affect any future help and advice that I may need!! :oops:

General opinion is that 8.5 is max load for 6mm2, but there are many other things to worry about:

What is the circuit length, and VD? Have you got an RCD? Is your switch rated accordingly? Does the board hosting the circuit have a 100A main switch? Is your meter and main fuse rated to 100A? Are your tails 25mm2?

Have you got MEB's & SEB's?

What protective device are you going to use?

What is the EFLI for the circuit?

doughnutter said:
Thank you pensdown for your advice, it has been taken wisely. My last post was meant to be a joke and not sarcasm, so I apologise to whom ever has read it that way.
I hope this wont affect any future help and advice that I may need!! :oops:

Your last post was funny, it was your reply to BAS I was talking about ;)

Anyway...all sorted...I hope you enjoy your new shower

securespark, I am grateful that you are warning us about all those things that you listed in your last post, unfortunately I do not understand all those technical words. The electric shower that we have at present was fitted with everything that it should have for safety and to work properly. But I was trying to find out everything that needed changing to accommodate a 9.5 kw shower from a 7.5kw. We have new cable, and fuse, have now learnt that we need to upgrade pull cord shower switch. Other than these, everything should stay the same....shouldnt it???

Oh and the length of cable that we have is between 10 - 11 metres, stretchingup in and across the loft, back down a bedroom wall (encased in plastic tubing) and straight into fuse box which is underneath that. Does it matter how and where the cables are laid then???

doughnutter said:
unfortunately I do not understand all those technical words.

I didn't think you were meant to. I thought that

"Have you got MEB's & SEB's?
What is the EFLI for the circuit?"

was intended to frighten you away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back