upgrading shower

JohnD said:
doughnutter said:
unfortunately I do not understand all those technical words.

I didn't think you were meant to. I thought that

"Have you got MEB's & SEB's?
What is the EFLI for the circuit?"

was intended to frighten you away.

I think so too.

Not entirely sure why - doughnutter was right to be concerned about the things in his post, but I'm sure that they would have been answered in previous posts about the sizes of cables for showers.

One thing that probably wouldn't, and apologies for not spotting this before:

We currently have a .. 30amp fuse at present. .. We had bought a ..50 amp fuse.

30A is a BS 1361 value, and 50A is a BS 88 value, but even if they were from the same range, a 50A fuse will not fit into a 30A carrier...

Sponsored Links
No, it wasn't intended to frighten anyone away! In any case, I'm not insulting his intelligence - he could easily look up these terms...

Just to make people aware there is more to fitting a new shower than just a cursory check on the "obvious" things....

You need to make sure the cable length is not excessive and volt drop within spec.

Most shower mfrs recommend an RCD these days. The isolating switch needs to be rated for the new circuit. If your CU does not have a 100A main switch then it is probably not intended to carry any circuits greater than 30/32A. If your meter, main fuse and tails are not rated similarly, then this may also cause problems.

MEB: Main Earth Bonding.
SEB: Supplementary Bonding.

EFLI is Earth Fault Loop Impedance. This is the resistance of the earth path, which if too high, will not ensure the correct tripping characteristics. Although if there is an RCD protecting the circuit, this is not crucial.

:LOL: I thank you to all those who took the time to give a response to my post.

I think we have the problem solved and my new shower will be up and running tomorrow :!:

It is very simple to use technical jargon when you are lucky enough to know alot about electrics, but some of us dont have a clue, especially when doughnutter (me) is not a (he) but a sweet little ole (she) :evil:

Thanks again for all your time spent on trying to help little ole me :LOL:

<<<< should have married a girlie with her own tools.......

Sunday afternoon....sits down to watch the footie......few beers......feet up ....can just hear the faint sound of the wife installing a new shower....ummmmm bliss :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back