Useless purchases or why the hell did I buy that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cleaning out my garage/workshop today and came across more than a few tools which I bought and have hardly used.
The best or worst example is a band saw, complete with cast iron table which I have had for about 5 years and I don't think I have used for more than 30 mins in total.I think that I once cut some wedges with it.
I seem to recollect it cost in the region of £300 and I bought after carefully researching the benefits of needing one.
What was your most useless purchase in the workshop.
PS anybody want a cheap bandsaw.

Sponsored Links
No, but I could do with a couple of wedges.

bought 40m2 of seasoned character oak.

stored it lovingly for two months in the room to which it was to be laid.

carefully set out the configuration and starter planks for the greatest visual effect.

secret nailed and/or glued each plank selectively.

painstakingly filled the knots and shakes with a perfect matching filler.

worked the sander over the floor for a smooth, blemish free finish.

finally caressed the surface with some osmo hardwax-oil satin finish coating.

looked stunning for a day at least, upon which the wife covered up most of the floor with rugs, sofas, tables, chairs, tele, foot mats, etc, etc.
said, it'll protect the floor. :rolleyes:

ho, hum. :confused: :D

Crypton engine analyser.....BIG one they had in garages in the 70`s..with osilloscope :LOL: £20 from ebay....got one motor to use it on but it`s not up+running yet :rolleyes: looks good tho

Sponsored Links
5 large velux 2nd hand windows for £400 quid which i travelled 30 miles (twice to collect) the intention was to use them in the roof at the rear of the property on the ground floor which is north facing to get a bit more light in. had a loft extension done instead as a little one came along. 4 years later theyve just gone in the skip.

im just about to demolish my workshop in the shed so the various workshop tools i bought (mainloy from e0bay) will be going back on. they include:-

a dremmel tool.......why???
a bosch wood carver....Why??
a cheap band saw.......WHy?
a cheap morticer........WHY?
a cheap router table.......WHY Why?
a hinge cutter..........WHY WHy?
a hot glue gun.......WHY WHY?

now excuse me im off to buy some more stuff from e-bay! :LOL:

John D wrote
No, but I could do with a couple of wedges.

No prob, but they will cost in the region of £25 each.

Thanks Thermo, you have made me feel a lot better

ah well some mug on e-bay will buy them. i sold my black and decker 18v firestorm hammer dill a month ago. been knocking around in the shed for 6 years. batteries still charged, but didnt hold too well. was going to throw it in the skip, but put it on flea bay with a totally honest description and it went for £35....whats wrong with people??? (a band saw, a mortiser, a hot glue gun......ill get my coat!!!) :LOL:

The KING of all useless purcheses is the BREAD MAKER MACHINE..........

Mines still in the box, had it 6 month now.

Bought a mastic gun from the pound shop then the tube don't fit in :LOL:

useless no, but not used much (I'm saving them for later in life)

Record power combination machine (£2900 :eek:)
DW718v Mitre saw (I already have another one one)
Pillar drill - Not used since laying the floor.
Mortiser - Never used.
Paslode IM350 - Had a fair bit of use some time ago, hasn't fired a nail in anger for a while now and it jams.
Dewalt Jigsaw (I already have another one)
Various drills - I have 6 in total (mostly c**p)
2 Makita routers - Never really been used.
Dewalt radial arm saw from ebay - Never used.
100m drum of 3 phase 10mm(?) SWA. - Ebay (£1.97) !!
Bosch DMF10 - absolutely useless it reckons that my wooden desk in my study is electrically live (it's not)

I even put a bid in on a Megger from ebay (which would be plain daft, as I doubt I'd be competent enough to use it)

Don't ask me why I've got any of this stuff, I'm a DIY'er, a case I think of all the gear no idea!! (Do you think there are support groups for people like me?) apart from bankrupts anonymous.

1 word sodastream!!! (is it one word?!)

I always get suckered in by the JML stuff too, dam those infomercials!

eddie ill buy the im350....seriously! send me an e-mail!

Eddie M said:
100m drum of 3 phase 10mm(?) SWA. - Ebay (£1.97) !!.

If you dont want it / have no use for it, get it down to your local scrap man.

Copper is worth a fortune at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Back