Using a contactor with emergency stop button

That is incorrect, data centre epo's normally operate via n/o contacts, the circuits are fault monitored and sometimes duplicated. The logic is to avoid the risk of a break in the circuit causing an expensive shutdown. Therefore any control circuits that could effect IT operations should be in a quiescent (de-energised) state.
Emergency switching should "interrupt" the appropriate supply (537.4.1.3) So if the supply is via a contactor the coil circuit must be "interrupted" i.e. N/c.

I hope we're not getting confused between a single point of shutdown for whatever reason and emergency switching.

Sponsored Links
Not that it really matters here but note to Pensdown the Guardmaster range of emergency stop relays and switches do include a double switch unit which has one N/O and one N/C switch designed so should something short out the cable it will still shut down. I will agree a N/O is not used on it's own but they are used.

Sponsored Links
As you’re aware, the main reason EPO's are no longer used in data centers is for that reason. They are a very unreliable single point of failure. Of course a de-energised system would be better but it then becomes un-reliable as an emergency stop circuit.

But unless someone has specifically identified a risk as far as I’m aware, most EPO's in data centers do not have meet either BS EN954 or IEC 61508.

Here is a useful document which lists the categorys and the circuits which comply - all using fail safe N/c contacts.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

http://www.hs-compliance.com/uploaded/documents/THE EMERGENCY STOP.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back