Using hot tap for washing machine/dishwasher?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just an idea to reduce some of my bills, but while my washing machine & dishwasher have cold water feeds and then heat the cold water.

If I was to use the hot water feed from the combi which is only 3m away, even though the initial water flow will not be hot, it will soon

Would this lessen the amount of electricity used to heat the water ?
I'm pretty sure that it costs less to heat water with gas than it does electricity ?

While typing this I have discussed the idea with another engineer in the room & he says the water will get too hot, so I'm thinking about adding a thermostatic mixing valve set to about 30+ degrees then the machines only have a little bit of heating to do.

I can see that a thermostatic mixing valve costs a few tens of pounds so it would have to be on a long while before I make actual savings (unless I can get one for nowt from somewhere).

What do the experts think, would this work?
what are the pros & cons?

The washer are used daily.

:?:

Sponsored Links
Matty,

IMHO dont think there is any real advantage in doing what you suggest.

Most washing machines use thd cold water feed for the rinse cycle, and also most washing can now be done at 30c and with the new ariel powder can even be done as low as 15c so tis would completely negate what your are wanting to do.

As for the dishwasher speak to the manufactuere but I imagine that they use only a cold feed for a reason.

Rico

Mattyladd,

Do not even think about it unless you are happy to eat off dirty plates and wear dirty looking stained cloths.

Dish washers, need cold water to remove the remnants of food, egg will not be removed if hot water is used,

and it will be very difficult to remove by hand after its been through the dish washer.

I think you will find that only the last few minutes and the final rinse use hot water.

Much the same with a washing machine, if hot water is used at start a lot of stains and marks which will normally wash out, will form a permanent stain.

Dish washers have always been cold fill only, and now most washing machines are cold fill only, as hot water never reached them.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, good points Dave, idea forgotten about already. :D

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back