Using one boiler instead of two.

Yes it is , i wonder how many assessors would take a dim view of this?

MPLR= 1mb drop on a U16 , 8mb drop on an E6...............................
The type of meter, the size, the loaction, nor the colour, have the slightest bit of influence on how much gas escapes per hour, per day, or per eaon.

The amount of gas escaping from a leak the size of a "4mb drop on a standard meter" is higly unlikely to build up to anywhere near dangerous levels in 24 hours even with all the doors and windows closed, nor is one comparable to 6, 8, or 12 mb drop during a standard domestic test.
This is why I said the numbers are arbitrary; halving them or doubling them has no real influence on safety margins in general.

If you don't understand that, you are clearly merely reciting from documents that don't actually mean something to you.

Sponsored Links
The type of meter, the size, the loaction, nor the colour, have the slightest bit of influence on how much gas escapes per hour, per day, or per eaon.

That's not what you said , you said a 4 mb drop is much the same as a 3 or 5 mb drop , this is NOT the case when different volume gas meters/pipes are installed , a leak rate of 4 mb on an E6 will pass less gas than that of a U6 with a 4 mb leak rate , this is the reason why MPLR differs when utilising different meters/pipe sizes , this was also mentioned on the other thread 'tightness testing'.

Domestic ends at 35mm and as such very few will have or need a U16.

Once you get into commercial it's a different set of rules.

Sponsored Links
Once you get into commercial it's a different set of rules.

Thanks , i'm well aware of those 'rules'. ;)

I once thought i could bluff my way into the gas industry just 'googleing' for information , it turns out i had to sit a number of assessments to be able to work in the dom/com gas industry. :mrgreen:

That's not what you said ,
That is exactly what I said before.
Which is the reason why I suggested: read my post several times because you seem to have trouble comprehending plain English.
One thing not even you will be able to deny, is that I clearly stated the following.
The amount of gas that escapes from a 4 mb drop is not so much different from what escapes at a 3 mb drop or a 5 mb drop.
Apart from that, none of the three has a realistic chance of building up to a dangerous concentration in a normal dwelling.

Pulling things out of context won't impress a whole lot of people when the original post is right above for everyone to see. :rolleyes:

I once thought i could bluff my way into the gas industry just 'googleing' for information , it turns out i had to sit a number of assessments to be able to work in the dom/com gas industry. :mrgreen:

Why dont we see your posts in the CC section of the forum?

Bengasman , you stated in the 'tightness test' thread the figures are 'arbitrary' , to which two pretty sharp guys (ChrisR/LCGS)said this wasn't so , you called it the '30 mph limit' , then you go on to say meter volume has no bearing on maximum permitted leak rate , i'm not here to argue the fact just merely trying to put forward the correct information regards IGE/UP/1B procedures.......................& yes i do hold TPC1/TPC1A. ;)

I'm not denying you are pretty sharp , unlike myself the google man :mrgreen: , you just need to think a little or maybe explain a bit more before hitting the 'submit' button. ;)

In my experience of London this situation usually arises because the heating was seperated because the property was to be used as two flats. I can think of two properties like that.

Either boiler can probably supply the heating with no problem so there is no need to bother thinking about it.

The hot water is more of a problem and one boiler will only supply one outlet at a time. Only the users will be able to judge if that will be any problem.

Whats wrong with the G-W boiler and why do you think that it cannot be repaired? Its rare that I ever see a combi boiler which cannot be repaired.

Tony

You are very much spot on. This is why I want to remove the Glowworm and use the room.

It is a terraced house. Down stairs front room radiator 1200x500 double. Back room 1000x600 double and 800x500 Single. Room enclosed due to extention.

Other rads are 800x500 single. 600x500 single. 480x290 double. 700x500 single, this room also enclosed by extention. 1200x500 single.

Upstairs. 650x600 single: 650x400 double: 1200x400 double: 1200x400 double.

You are correct the GW can be repaired. I know the fault but I hope from suggestions, the change-over can be done and function well.

Thanks to you and everyone else for your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back