Veritas R8 alarm query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have fitted a new battery in my Veritas R8 control panel. I switched it on and managed to put in the default code and also the engineers code from all the installation information that I downloaded. With the panel unset and walking in the hallway it seems to trigger the alarm so there must be an issue. I have been in the house for a year and a half but have anly just got round to sorting out the alarm system. When I have decorated all the rooms and removed the PIR sensors I always wrote down the sequence of the wiring.

My main question is on the terminals I have noticed that the red cables go to the positive and the black cables go to the negative, but the yellow and white cables go to the terminals marked C and NC but on some of the PIR's the yellow and white cables are on either of these terminals, the same applies to the blue and green cables on the terminals marked "T" on the PIR's. So does it matter what way round the C and NC termination are?

In the control panel all the red cables go to the AUX + and the black cables go to the AUX - with the white and yellow cables going to the programmable zones section on the control panel. With regards to the blue and green cables these are looped to different colours loosely in the control panel box. For example the Green from the Hall PIR is linked to the blue from the Kitchen PIR. I assume that all the wiring is OK as it must have worked at some stage in the past but I have no idea why when you move it triggers the alarm when it is unset.

I will remove the external sounder wire whilst trying to resolve this issue so not to annoy the neighbours but any tips would be much appreciated.

Also how do I link the tamper alarm in the control panel so it does not go off when I remove the cover.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
So you defaulted the panel ? Did it work before you defaulted it ? Have you had the hall pir off ?
Putting the panel in engineer mode stops all internal sounders
No it does not matter which way round in the detector / panel they are just loops
What shows on the panel when you walk in the hallway ?

The panel lid tamper can not be linked out. but if your in engineering you can take the lid off without the tamper sounding.

by any chance its zone triggering?

if yes you have put zone 2 to a fire zone, usually done by mistake by entering engineers code prog and engineers code prog again.

press reset twice
engineers code then prog
then 12 (4) illuminated?
if this is the walk through zone press 2, then prog then reset twice

if its not a walk through zone, it should be 6 if e/e. or 3 if guard.

The control panel is under the stairs and the keypad is by the front door in the hallway, the PIR in the hallway is connected to number 2 on the panel and this was the one that was causing the issue. The alarm has never worked since we moved into the house as when I put the fuse in, it started to alarm and as I have never had an alarm system before I just left it until recently. There was no battery inside the control panel so I have just ordered one which I picked up today so I thought I would have a go at sorting it out today.

The unit I assume had set itself back to default factory settings as the access code was 4321 and the engineer code of 1234. I did manage to change the code to what I wanted and also did the walk through test which lit up the correct numbers on the keypad 1=doors, 2=hall, 3=kitchen, 4=lounge, 5=dining room, 6=study and 8= 2 x panic buttons in hall and bedroom when I tested them.

Sparkymarka.. When I put the battery in and switched on the power I assumed it was back to it's default. I have taken off the hall PIR in the past to decorate but always wrote down the wiring sequence so assume that it is all back as it was. When you walk in the hallway the number 2 lights up on the keypad and the green unset button is lit also the inside and outside sounders were going off so I entered my code and it stopped but as soon as you moved it went off again. Am I to assume that it probably has the wrong setting in the keypad.

Secureiam.. I have not tampered with the settings at all only tried to change the code. Do I need to do an in depth program of all the areas. I have a copy of an installation manual that I printed off the web. I will try the guide you gave me tomorrow as I have turned the power off the alarm panel for now.

Sparkymarka and Secureiam thank you for your replies it is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
its common to change zone 2 (2) from inhibited entry(walk through) to fire (4), fire is on 24 hrs a day 7 days a week.

it is changed by mistake 1234prog 1234 prog, 1234 prog first time takes you into engineering, second time it takes you to edit zone 2, 3(guard) goes off 4 (fire) comes on and prog confirms it.

a walk test only confirms that the zones are activated it has no bearing on how the zones function when armed or in day mode.

tell me what zones you have and how you want them to work in full set and part set and I will tell you how to program it.

Zone 1 is doors both front and side door which leads into the utility
Zone 2 is the PIR in the hallway which is where the front door is and the keypad
Zone 3 is the PIR in the kitchen
Zone 4 is the PIR in the lounge (patio doors to garden are not alarmed)
Zone 5 is the PIR in the dining room
Zone 6 is the PIR in the study
Zone 8 is the Panic attack buttons in the hallway and the master bedroom

Not sure what the best settings will be maybe you can recommend the best settings but here goes

Zone 1 = Inhibited Entry or Entry/Exit
Zone 2 = Inhibited Entry
Zone 3 = Guard
Zone 4 = Guard (There are patio doors in this room)
Zone 5 = Guard
Zone 6 = Guard
Zone 8 = Personal Attack

What would the difference be between are full set and a part set. Alarm systems are something I know nothing about, can you set the unit up for when you go to bed or are they just for when no-one is at home.

As above zone 1 entry exit , zone 2 inhibited , part would turn off landing if fitted and ( if programmed make hall an entry exit in part ) depending of the layout if your house !

engineers code prog (all lights illuminated)
1 1 6 prog
1 2 2 prog (given what you have said this is currently set to 4 fire not 2)
1 3 3 prog
1 4 3 prog
1 5 3 prog
1 6 3 prog
1 8 7 prog
2 1 2 prog
2 2 ( turn all lights out) prog
2 3 1 prog (turns zone 1 into guard when part set, if not required turn all lights off before pressing prog)
5 1 (turn all lights on for zones you want to work in part set) prog (at default 5,6 and 7 are off)

so you want the external sounder to sound when the system is part set and the system activated?

0 1 2 prog

when programming finished press reset twice

In your case zone 2 is near the keypad, so the above settings should start the entry in part se when the hallway detector picks you up.
as there doesn't appear to be a detector on the landing, ie between the bedrooms and the toilet you don't need the landing omitted so you can use the loo on a night.

Secureiam you input has been much appreciated. I have input all the information you sent and can now walk around without the system going off.

I do believe you were right in your earlier when you said about entering the engineer code a couple of times that was probably in my panic to stop the alarm noise.

I might change the settings in the future once I get to grips with the system but at least I have a copy of your programming as a guide in the future.

Thanks once again for your help and advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back