Veritas R8 PIR problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
A continuity test using an ohmmeter is a standard test. It sends a voltage down the cable and reads the resistance upon its return. Do you know anyfink?

Sponsored Links
You openly admit you know s** all and you prove it on a daily basis. A continuity test using an ohmmeter is a standard test. It sends a voltage down the cable and reads the resistance upon its return. Do you know anyfink?

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

so mr invisible man - the op has dissed his cable in the PIR and the pair go open but when he reconnects them the PIR still doesnt trigger the panel even though the relay is changing

whats causing that then ?

You openly admit you know s** all and you prove it on a daily basis. A continuity test using an ohmmeter is a standard test. It sends a voltage down the cable and reads the resistance upon its return. Do you know anyfink?

so mr invisible man - the op has dissed his cable in the PIR and the pair go open but when he reconnects them the PIR still doesnt trigger the panel even though the relay is changing

Put that in English will you, there's a good chap.

It would be more helpful if you put your answer into plain English

Sponsored Links

which part dont you understand (if any of it ?)

the op has followed your advice and dissed the alarm pair in the PIR but although his meter is showing open circuit the system still doesnt detect that zone however when he dissed the alarm pair from the panel end it does detect ?

so whats caused that ? hows it likely to have happened and how could it have happened on two zones at the same time

Why don't you tell him?

talking to yourself again Joe ?

why dont you just accept youve no idea, continually post the wrong info and read posts incorrectly

all you do is wind the ordinary members of the public up - google the following " red and tube " it might be more up your street

I take it you know which zones the 2 u/s PIRs are on, if you (isolate first so it is running on battery power) take the cover off the panel, (you may need to enter your code as it will tamper). Pop a digital volt meter (needs to measure 12vDC) across the alarm terminals for the zones and get someone to walk in front of them. What happens - do you see a change in voltage?

Managed to test this at lunch time. Alarm panel is not far from the lounge PIR so managed to activate PIR and check the voltage. The voltage remains the same (Zero) when the PIR is active / inactive. :cry:

Guess this points to the cable...but why does the PIR still appear to work with the red light coming on once triggered?

OK, the wires should read about 0v when the PIR is not tripped and 12v when the PIR is tripped, I think the next easiest thing to try is to disconnect the wires from the alarm terminals and see how many volts there are on the panel terminals, hopefully there will be 12v which means the panel isn't at fault (and the link still isn't in from pre commisioning!!).

OK, the wires should read about 0v when the PIR is not tripped and 12v when the PIR is tripped,

no it doesnt - theres NO volts across the alarm terminals

I think the next easiest thing to try is to disconnect the wires from the alarm terminals and see how many volts there are on the panel

er, it`ll be none same as above

terminals, hopefully there will be 12v which means the panel isn't at fault (and the link still isn't in from pre commisioning!!).

you dont do many alarms do you sparks

IF and its only an IF, you want to use the volt method you need to check across the alarm pair and the 0v terminal BUT each manf. uses a different set of values and these change depending wether your on the positive or negative loop

In the O/P`s case its too much

[
why dont you just accept youve no idea, continually post the wrong info and read posts incorrectly

all you do is wind the ordinary members of the public up - google the following " red and tube " it might be more up your street

You openly admit that you are clueless on technology - don't try and kid me you suddenly know something. You've never posted the right info yet.

nope, never said I was hopeless on technology just said I havent the need to know how things work down to component level but I also said no one can fault find a SYSTEM ( see cause I work at SYSTEM level) better than I can

OK, the wires should read about 0v when the PIR is not tripped and 12v when the PIR is tripped,

There are usually 2-3 volts. How do you think it works then? Magic? Clueless as ever.

Not sure what I have started here - looks like WWIII!

So, no change in voltage on the PIR wires when the PIR is activated.
What can I test next?

There are usually 2-3 volts. How do you think it works then? Magic? Clueless as ever.

O/P dont bother listening to this - there are NO VOLTS across a volt free relay (the clue really is in the title )

Joe has a problem with incessant posting on internet forums

Not sure what I have started here - looks like WWIII!

So, no change in voltage on the PIR wires when the PIR is activated.
What can I test next?

well that was a good waste of your time wasnt it

test meter ? ON RESISTANCE with all cores of the cable disconnected at both ends?

then

you should have no reading on any of the cables, your fault will be the pair that show a circuit (my moneys on the 12v feed and the alarm pair)

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back