Viessmann Vitotronics (and other systems?) room temperature

Ya I agree with part of what you are saying ... as some people like WC some dont ... thats a bit like life really ... some like it hot some cold ....
i can voucher for saving on units of gas consumed as I had a normal Ch system with worcester boiler and thermostat and even on short ish times it will consume 7-9 units a day ... with WC the consumption is 4-5 and its on from 5 in the morning to 9.30 at night !!

I would not install a 200 with wc in a customer house as I am forever adjusting it in mine .
although a 100 with wc is actually more simple ...

Sponsored Links
something is wrong here... my customers don't fiddle with their heating at all...so why do you? I think its about managing customers expectations...in fact I tell some of them to measure the temperature on a thermometer and tell me how much it deviates...

it would be useful to know more from viessmann though about how it arrives at its flow temperature...as I suspect that constant fiddling upsets the algorithms...

I would guarantee that the 200 will use less gas than the 100 though, precisely because of its software...

I think the people who don't like weather compensation just haven't got the right information...things like the vitotronic 200 and vaillant 430 are so different from the earlier versions...and lets face it we are not the best supported industry in the world when it comes to adopting new technology!

The other thing is that if you are into tinkering its worth getting your mind round the shift and slope (coding address one)....if you observe when you tinker it will give you information as to what needs changing...

Don't hold your breath waiting for an algorithm that accounts for someone opening a window.

Weather compensation assumes that the house is reasonably airtight.

but they aren't, and no house SHOULD be.

DOn't forget TRVs though, they do do a bit to help.
WC also doesn't account for heat sources like cooking, or people at parties.

The sad thing, which Alec knows because I've told him rather a lot of times, is that a decent modern ( ie, mature technology for the last 20+ years) implementation of a control system doesn't need the temperature of the garden at all, it can work out everything it needs from the indoor temperature and how it's been changing/needing more/less power input.

WC is very much like measuring the slope of the road to determine how much accelerator to use to get a particular speed. Bonkers when you've got a speedometer and a brain.

Sponsored Links
Weather compensation assumes that the house is reasonably airtight.

but they aren't, and no house SHOULD be.
WC also doesn't account for heat sources like cooking, or people at parties.

yes chris good point but this is what inside sensors are for

WC is very much like measuring the slope of the road to determine how much accelerator to use to get a particular speed. Bonkers when you've got a speedometer and a brain.

or cruise control/auto pilot?

in a domestic situation yes i can understand most peoples points abouts costs/savings etc
but in the commercial/industrial sector which I work, set up and adjusted correctly,the savings from weather compensated systems are huge thats why it's been around for decades

If ChrisR had any experience on the vitotronic 200 by installing one he would not be saying the things he says. He basis his understanding on technology developed in the 50s and 60s and has no real information about the current offer from viessmann and vaillant...

Even with TRVS and on-off controls other heat sources cause variations in room temperatures, why this is a problem with weather compensation but not conventional controls beats me...

If ChrisR had any experience on the vitotronic 200 by installing one
One?
More than I can remember. Some people say they wanted them - ok not a difficulty. (Until you ask V exactly how things work, at which point they clam up, so you can't explain to the customer. The people exposed to the oiks who install the boilers know nothing. I've got as far as being told "it's technical" by V backup staff abroad. It's very easy to trip them up. Then "We don't go into it". Right, I'd say that in their position, because it's baloney.
Some of my customers are way ahead of me in their maths knowledge - and are disgusted by the junk that comes out of supposedly technically advanced Viessmann. I can only remind them it's meant for plumbers.

He basis his understanding on technology developed in the 50s and 60s
Twaddle

and has no real information about the current offer from viessmann and vaillant...
More twaddle. Ask Alec what exactly their wonderful gas saving software does and of course he doesn't have a clue. Ask the manufacturers and they say almost nothing. Yet Alec likes it to be mysterious and "above" other mortals. It's a line of bull__it.
Control theory was mature in the 80's. Practical implementation on myriad applications was done a few years after, with not much more than some tweaks. It doesn't work really well on a house because of the open-loop stuff, where we only have trv's to help.
The stuff in use today relies on far more than the 50's and 60's which Alec goes on about, more than it needs to, but that's because an outside sensor looks clever and costs almost nothing.
If you can't follow time-variable integral equations and (eg) Laplace transforms , don't bother to look for explanations. Offhand I can only think of about 3 plumbers who can benefit from that explanation, Alec is not one of them. You'd need an engineering degree with a heavy controls bias. I did two of those.

Sure - those also do not use outside sensors. Because they aren't necessary.

V200 uses an on/off "over temperature" indoors which V are keen to tell you if you talk to them, is a waste of time. Mysterious "software" saving another large percentage of your gas, is invoked - which of course is pathetic rubbish.

Weather comp has been the norm in the colder parts of Europe for decades.
Sure, it's cheap. So?

Even with TRVS and on-off controls other heat sources cause variations in room temperatures, why this is a problem with weather compensation but not conventional controls beats me...
Because the word "weather" means using outside temperature, then leaving the feedback loop open.
If you use only (intelligent, modern... ) internal temperature sensors you see the internal sources of heat/coolth the garden one knows nothing about.
If you rely on internal sensors the outside ones actually don't add anything if you look at the maths. If you want to see some twaddle, look at the supposed advantage of feed-forward control. Some will say it's just what you want in a house. Barking! If you can't see why, your understanding is lacking.

in the commercial/industrial sector which I work, set up and adjusted correctly,the savings from weather compensated systems are huge thats why it's been around for decades
If you compare it with very crude systems, yes of course. But Weather (outside temperature) compensation alone is decades out of date. If you look at control systems in large buildings ( eg large office blocks), you'll find sensors all over them, but one on the wall outside - no, not used for controlling the heating. That went out long ago. I didn't find that out until the last year or so.

All the stuff about how the systems are supposed to work and how they should be better is all very well, but I come back to where I came in. It's pretty irrelevant, because the "target environment" in terms of the people, and the maintenance, (and the technical writing, information, objectivity and on and on) is missing. It's all very LOW quality. The people are LOW quality. The requirement is only to flog boilers. I ask again to illustrate, who are you going to call to maintain your WC system years after they finished making it? You ARE going to have a problem. You might be able to use the manufacturer, but probably nobody else. Is that what the market wants -not for the most part.

It works for some of the people some of the time
But he percentage is tiny. I asked another 5 installers on assessment today, from 3 companies. Two companies basically knew nothing about WC. The other two people had only taken WC boilers out and put standard ones in. One of those was a manager in his company so he knew what was going on, they're currently putting in about 85 boilers a week in London/SE in private homes, none with WC. Because of their experience.

I put a Climapro on a GW on Monday. After explaining it to the customer (software professional so not a goon) he asked me to turn the modulation off. I'd have had it on, but for him it was the correct decision.

The stuff in use today relies on far more than the 50's and 60's which Alec goes on about, more than it needs to, but that's because an outside sensor looks clever and costs almost nothing.

Sure - those also do not use outside sensors. Because they aren't necessary.

V200 which V are keen to tell you if you talk to them, is a waste of time. Mysterious "software" saving another large percentage of your gas, is invoked - which of course is pathetic rubbish.

I can't comment Chris as I have no dealings with the V200 but the indoor sensors I deal with do whatever what ever you program the BMS to do

Because the word "weather" means using outside temperature, then leaving the feedback loop open.
If you use only (intelligent, modern... ) internal temperature sensors you see the internal sources of heat/coolth the garden one knows nothing about.
If you rely on internal sensors the outside ones actually don't add anything if you look at the maths. If you want to see some twaddle, look at the supposed advantage of feed-forward control. Some will say it's just what you want in a house. Barking! If you can't see why, your understanding is lacking.

No argument from me here (using intelligent, modern...controls )
with the exception of UFH only buildings then I agree

in the commercial/industrial sector which I work, set up and adjusted correctly,the savings from weather compensated systems are huge thats why it's been around for decades
If you compare it with very crude systems, yes of course. But Weather (outside temperature) compensation alone is decades out of date. If you look at control systems in large buildings ( eg large office blocks), you'll find sensors all over them, but one on the wall outside - no, not used for controlling the heating. That went out long ago. I didn't find that out until the last year or so.

on a modern well insulated building with HVAC using indoor sensors connected via bms/plc to proportional valves etc then no theres no need to know the outside temp for your indoor requirements,why would you if you know the indoor temp in real time so I agree
unless its a building with ufh only then I would say that both an indoor and outdoor sensor are needed (and yes I agree they are far too over priced for what they are)

but I work in old buildings (offices/factories/care homes etc) with crude controls and older large non modulating boilers so we fit what they can afford which is usually the weather compensated/optimiser option

All the stuff about how the systems are supposed to work and how they should be better is all very well, but I come back to where I came in. It's pretty irrelevant, because the "target environment" in terms of the people, and the maintenance, (and the technical writing, information, objectivity and on and on) is missing. It's all very LOW quality. The people are LOW quality. The requirement is only to flog boilers. I ask again to illustrate, who are you going to call to maintain your WC system years after they finished making it? You ARE going to have a problem. You might be able to use the manufacturer, but probably nobody else. Is that what the market wants -not for the most part.
we are still maintaining 30 yr old+ systems but again a different sector of the market
they're currently putting in about 85 boilers a week in London/SE in private homes, none with WC. Because of their experience.

I doubt the company I work for would bother with a domestic install either
all in all chris maybe I shouldn't comment on weather compensation as Its mainly domestic installs that are relevant on here and most of what you say and in the other post I totally agree with

Matt

Chris pearls of wisdom you are at last showing... the problem is of course the lack if information and support from the boiler manufactuers for the installers and the public, on that we are totally agreed.

To them and their wretched business model your comments are a sad indictment of their short term unimaginative business practices. I respect your spirited indifference to them and their technology...

To me and my clients though installing their products with compensation controls gives a higher level of satisfaction to the consumer, lower gas bills and higher levels of reliability than just doing things with on-off numpty controls.

And as to support, several mates work in a loose union support our work when we go away...I agree though British Gas would not have a clue, despite the fact they consider themselves the experts!

Matt - yes that all sounds familiar. We all can only pick up what info we can and it's a patchy picture. Interesting bits there, thanks.
Yes, gowd, those old BMS were crude, but compared with what else there was back then they were well worth having, in the right situation.

What I have a problem respecting is the fervent nutters who put the whole issue into one category then spout glib epithets praising it to the high heavens, littered with meaningless pseudo intellectual geekbites.

Alec I have to put you there. You're something of a voice in the wilderness going on about a religion with miracles which has exceedingly few avid followers, because independent evidence is strongly against the faith.

Chris pearls of wisdom you are at last showing... the problem is of course the lack if information and support from the boiler manufactuers for the installers and the public, on that we are totally agreed.
No "at last" - I've always said much the same .
The problem is NOT so much lack of information, it's DISinformation, and its disseminators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back