Was I charged right for fixing my Ideal Mini C24 boiler

older mini's had 2 pcb's an ignition + running pcb both dif prices.
Newer mini's only have 1 pcb so more expensive.
It wouldnt be out of order to have the pcb + 20% markup and then the price of whatever the agreed hourly rate was, then depends if the RGI was vat registered etc etc could be anything.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I know the site is for asking for DIY problems and advice rather than 'how much should this be' questions so appreciate the ones who answered.

I was charged £356 inc VAT, the part was £240 including VAT although I've since seen it online at £150 inc VAT so think that markup was slightly high.

The problem still persists however so wasn't the pcb in the first place, he's coming back out tomorrow. Annoyingly the problem is so intermittent that it might not happen when he's here. Also the green LED indicating there is a problem only flashes intermittently the rest of the time its fine

well i understand why you'd be upset boiler wouldnt of cost much more than that new and youve just plugged 350quid into it and its still broke.
Parts can be much cheaper online but most people use merchants incase theyre let down online.

Just need to give the guy a chance to fix it properly tomorrow and see how it goes.

Ray

If he's made the wrong diagnosis - and overcharged you in the process - tell him you want a refund or you'll contact Trading Standards. You paid to have it FIXED - and nothing short of that will do.

Sponsored Links
Had my plumber in again. It looks like the boiler is on its last legs anyway. It's 10 year old (was told that they don't last much longer than this), the expansion vessel had deflated since yesterday so would need replacing. Also the PRV did not go outside so water has been coming out of the bottom. The boiler had been running on about 0 bar for months.

was given the option of a Valent 824 or a Baxi Duotech (was told the valent is the best by the plumber) Anyone have a view on whether these are any good?

This at a cost of £1800 inc VAT, they would also give me a refund of £240 for the pcb that was bought

No powerflush mentioned, just draining the system which I'd presume you would do when changing the boiler anyway

So you are going to fit a brand new boiler to dirty old pipework full of crud? How long do you think this one will last?

Let's just recap.

You had a boiler problem and called a guy in who made no effort to find the fault and charged you silly money for the wrong repair.

It didn't cure the problem.

Then overnight he decides the boiler is a scrapper (though not the day before). :rolleyes:

He then says you can have a £900 boiler for £1800.

It will be fitted to your dirty old pipework and fitted in a day.

So he makes £900 for a days work. (double what a GP earns :rolleyes:)

If you say 'yes' he refunds you the parts he overcharged you for and makes a killing on the new installation.

If you say 'no thanks' he keeps your £350 and fits the PCB in somewhere else.

If that's the sort of guy you want in the house - then go for it.

;)

The OP is damned if he does and damned if he doesn`t :cry: get the same bod back - loose £350 or not :confused: Maybe take the £350 hit ( ouch) and get 2 quotes - 1 from Plimnico plumbers and one from ............................................................................................................................................................................Agile ;)

Agile takes three days. Too much time off work there then. :p

Going off the subject, my computer recently failed to work. Took it to the man who informed me he didnt quite know what the problem was, so phoned me before he bought and fitted a new part, once fitted, I supposingly had to stand the cost even if he misdiagnosed. :eek:

joe-90

you dont have a glue about the gas industry or how it works. i can assure you he will not make "£900" in a day, no where near in fact.

you keep talking about price or this an that, an to be honest you sound like a burke

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back