Washing machine issues?

Cold water flow very poor as you can see from pic and no pressure. If I can somehow increase the flow of the cold water coming from this cold tap in kitchen might it stop my washing machine constantly stopping with the error code of not enough water or not enough water pressure?

We have a water tank in the loft.

Sponsored Links
As it's an old flat, it's probably had many years of poor-quality plumbing work done

Looking under the valve, you'll see a long term leak has left limescale on the pipe, and I think there is an old brass valve there probably constricting the flow.

A good tip is to use better quality full-bore valves, which do not constrict. They are more expensive. Observe that the body is much fatter on these Peglers.

And here is a good-quality washing machine valve.

If you can follow the pipes back, you will probably find a 90-year old iron or lead pipe nailed into a corner, and if you can replumb from there, removing old joints, elbows and valves, there is a good chance you will get better flow. If you are really lucky it will be one-inch iron.

Thank you John.
I am just renting flat.
If I can somehow increase the flow of the cold water coming from this cold tap in kitchen might it stop my washing machine constantly stopping with the error code of not enough water or not enough water pressure?

I really need to know how to solve the issue of not enough water and water pressure getting to my washer? Is there anything that can be done to resolve this and what exactly? What exactly should I ask my landlords plumber that I think should be fixed or done? Thanks

So I should ask plumber to replace the valves with better quality full-bore valves and to remove old joints, elbows and valves with better quality new ones? Anything else they can do to increase water flow and pressure?

Will this also help my washer water flow and pressure?

Sponsored Links
take a closer pic of the valve (?) where the leak is, and any other valves you can find. They may be in cupboards and corners, or in the loft. Look for a main stopcock shaped like this. Note the slope on one side.

It may be that replacing them will do the trick and not a major job. you will not want to pay for a comprehensive replumb of a rental, and the landlord might not care.

If it was me, I think I would pay for a full-bore to replace the leaking one, and ask the plumber to fit it. Otherwise he might just replace with another cheap one.

Yes the main stopcock is attached to the water tank in the loft and one in the street.

Where do you think the leak is? Under the isolation valve? What colour is the limescale on the pics? The white area on the pipes appears to be some kind of coating applied at some point before I moved in.

Yes the main stopcock is attached to the water tank in the loft and one in the street.

Where do you think the leak is? Under the isolation valve? What colour is the limescale on the pics? The white area on the pipes appears to be some kind of coating applied at some point before I moved in.

It's probably the joint to the copper pipe, but, if it is a valve, it may be the operating spindle worn.

Take some closer pics

Ok I shall take some closer pics in a few mins. I noticed that the pipes are wet? Is this normal? Condensation maybe? Or a sign there's a slow leak?

Perhaps...

Don't suppose the error happens because you used the kitchen taps at the same time?
The obvious cure here is to thus not do that but then, that is not a good solution.
Also, turn on the kitchen tap and run a bath/shower, etc and see if the water flow drops. If so, then you've a bigger supply problem and a plumber might be best.

On the hose connections or, on the connection to the machine itself, there is usually a gauze filter. Unscrew the hoses (with the valves OFF!) and check that some crud hasn't blocked the filter. Also check to see if a pressure reducer has been left in incorrectly (they look like a little red pen top)

16394024114798458742179782576076.jpg 16394023266174247668340948948469.jpg

Ok I shall take some closer pics in a few mins. I noticed that the pipes are wet? Is this normal? Condensation maybe? Or a sign there's a slow leak?

Cold pipes will condense water on them, until the match the room temperature. Dry them last thing at night, then check if they are dry next morning.

The white material appears to be white silicone sealant, clumsily applied, presumably a poor quality attempt to repair a leak, not limescale. It is probably still leaking.

The slot in the valve is not quite upright

As expected, it is a poor quality valve, badly fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back