water pump. causing header tank to overflow?

Sponsored Links
yes the overflow for the header tank that is going out of the wall onto my back bedrooms roof, it is not overflowing out of the tank yet, it still has an inch and a half before it reaches the top of the tank it is the header tank and not the cold water tank. the cold water tank remains at the same height

Sorry. Ok, then let's have a look!

How high is the vent pipe above the water level in the small tank before it bends over and into ir?

Also what is the pump speed set too?

Also how far is the pump from the small tank water level approx?

Also does this happen whenever hot water OR heating turned on at the programmer?

Vwnt a high radiator, does water stop flowing after a few seconds (30 seconds or so)??

If your vent pipe is pumping over, your overflow won't go as fresh water will be drawn down the cold feed, replacing the lost water. The water level will probably be about the same in the tank.

Sorry. Ok, then lwt's have a look!

How high is the vent pipe above the water level in the small tank before it bends over and into ir?

Also what is the pump speed set too?

Also how far is the pump from the small tank water level approx?

Also does this happen whenever hot water OR heating turned on at the programmer?

Vwnt a high radiator, does water stop flowing aftera few seconds (30 seconds or so)??

answers in order;

pipe is approximately just over a foot above before it bends down into tank.

pump speed had been set to II but i changed it to I yesterday which seems to lessen the amount of water going into the header tank via the vent pipe.

pump is approximately 3 foot below the header tank

the header tank overflows out through the overflow pipe all day long, heating is on in the morning and also the evening and the water goes on in the evening for afew hours. when the water is heating you can see the water flowing out the vent pipe i couldnt see the water when the heating was running earlier.

Venting radiators the water continually flows from all radiators. i know this because i have to vent them to get air out quite often.

Sponsored Links
how far is the pump exactly from the water level in the tank? Is the pump a 5m pump or 6metre? look at the pump label on it's body.

i would say it is 4 and a half foot maybe 5 having a close look.

i cant see anything about metres on the label could it be abbreviated?

i have a fridge magnet is that any good?

and the venting overnight could have been a faulty ball cock because i did change that as it was full of water but as far as i know it is leaking onto the roof all day long even when heating and hot water are off.

i still say a restriction around the feed/vent.
as your going to check with your magnet

how do i check this then? is it easy to fix if it is what u think?

put your magnet around the feed/vent connections to the system/flow pipe. Does it stick a lot to the copper pipe?

Had something like this years ago. Are you SURE it is not the bigger tank that is not overflowing. If it is,,,,,it could possibly if you have one a thermostatic mixer(shower) passing back through the hot water side. That is if it is the domestic tank overflowing. Just a thought. Get it straight as to which tank is overflowing.

sorry which pipes do you mean the pipes on the boiler or on the pump or the tank?

Had something like this years ago. Are you SURE it is not the bigger tank that is not overflowing. If it is,,,,,it could possibly if you have one a thermostatic mixer(shower) passing back through the hot water side. That is if it is the domestic tank overflowing. Just a thought. Get it straight as to which tank is overflowing.

Definitely not the bigger tank that is overflowing. thanks for your info tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back