water pump. causing header tank to overflow?

Sponsored Links
i couldnt feel any differences. i presume you are talking about where the pipe splits just after where the pump is and one goes up to the vent for the header tank and the other goes down?

now you've lost me.

can't remember what yours is. is it a y plan fully pumped system ?
or a pic

i am unsure i dont know to much about heating systems to be honest i only kno bits and bobs. i kno it doesnt have an immersion heater and also it has an old back boiler. the pump whizzes away when it is heating water. i know in an ideal world i would replace it with a combi boiler but its too much money unless i absolutley have too

Sponsored Links
so you can have heating without hw on at programmer ?
have you a 3 port valve like this after the pump ?
imagesug.jpg

sorry i posted it sidewards but the two pipes leading up are the vent which is the pipe coming off the pump and the furthest right pipe with the valve on is the feed from the header/overflow tank bk into the system i presume??

run the magnet around the top tee, bottom tee and the vertical section in the middle, and the elbow above pump.

you not touched any valves either side of pump ?
is that gate valve fully open ?

that pump is pumping down isn't it ?
why is your cold feed and vent wrong way round ?

the pump is pumping upwards that was my main concern when i looked at it earlier.

the pipe between the two tee pieces is more magnetic than the rest of the pipe work.

also i am not 100% sure where the pipes go i presumed that was the correct places as far as i can see as the pipes go into my wall cavity in the loft i could try to find out which is which. what should the two pipes be that lead up there?

there are also 3 cold pipes that go into the loft behind my hot water tank

also of note both the pipes in the picture that lead up to the loft are very hot to the touch. if that helps atall?

that don't make sense your pumping towards the vent/cold feed.
looks like its pumping down to me.
have you checked the arrow on the casing ?

have you a pic lower down showing 3 port valve ?

the pipe between the two tee pieces is more magnetic than the rest of the pipe work.
crudded up and resticing flow.

there are also 3 cold pipes that go into the loft behind my hot water tank
ones probably feed to hw cylinder
then the others are probably feeds to bathroom etc. :idea:

that don't make sense your pumping towards the vent/cold feed.
looks like its pumping down to me.
have you checked the arrow on the casing ?

have you a pic lower down showing 3 port valve ?

i had never looked at the direction the pump was going until i saw a post about it being the wrong round but it is definately pumping up according to the arrow on the black casing.

the pump pipe goes downwards into the 3 port valve then that goes down again into the floor

the pump should pump towards the 3 port valve.

so the order from boiler is VENT- 150MM MAX - COLD FEED - PUMP - VALVE.

and the valves upside down. not recommended.
if they leak they leak onto the electrics.

so the pump needs turning around?

also is that the order it should be in or is that the order you think it is from the pictures i have given you?

if the pump was turned around would this correct the problem? is there an easy way to clean the pipe which has the build up in it?

so the pump needs turning around?
yes.
also is that the order it should be in or is that the order you think it is from the pictures i have given you?

should be - vent - cold feed - pump - valve.
yours is - cold feed - vent - pump (wrong way) - valve.

if the pump was turned around would this correct the problem? is there an easy way to clean the pipe which has the build up in it?

vent should be before pump if you pump to a vent its gonna go up it
rather than take a restricted route through rads,boiler etc.
as for cleaning i would cut it out and fit new section.

you can get cleaners like sentinel x400 - x800 but they won't shift hard crud only sludge.

thats a section of pipe thats gone hard with crud.
Deposits20on20wall20of2015mm20pipe.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back