Water softener vs. magnetic/electric de-scaler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter is planning to have a water softener installed in her new kitchen, but her plumber has suggested that it's a waste of money and she should have an electronic/magnetic limescale prevention device (which he can supply and install) instead.

My understanding of these limescale prevention devices is they somehow magnetise the lime part of the water to prevent it sticking to the heating matrix and other places in a central heating system. They allow the lime to pass through, so they don't actually soften the water that goes into your basin, bath, washing machine etc.

I presume these devices put an electrostatic charge on the lime, rather than actually magnetising it, since it's non-magnetic so far as I know. But they seem to be mainly marketed for installing into central-heating circuits, so are they any good for general household water? And what happens to the lime that's circulating -- does it gradually build up somewhere when it loses its electrostatic charge a short distance after passing through the device? What's your advice please? My daughter lives in North Herts., where the water is pretty hard.

Sponsored Links
Magnetic devices are snake oil when your interest is removing calcium and magnesium compounds (the chemicals that we call hard water). But your initial post seems to suggest you want to install it in the closed loop of the CH system. Don't bother - it's likely your boiler should be filled with hard water anyway (with inhibitor). The softened water is supposed to be on the circuit that feeds your cylinder that feed the hot taps/showers. Stick it somewhere common so it also feeds the cold taps too. And always have un-softened supply for drinking. It's great for cooking and washing with, but never drinking (It's high in sodium).

All this said.... where in the country are you? This determines whether it's worth the bother having a water softener. (They're reliable, but need regular filling with salt)

Nozzle

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for those replies, which confirm what I suspected after I'd done a bit of internet reading. I've had a softener for many years and am very happy with it (apart from the cost of salt!), and my daughter believes it will be installed in the whole cold water circuit in her house so that, presumably, it will cover the boiler top-up feed tank as well. She'll have a non-softened tap for drinking and cooking water in the kitchen.

Affinity Water is her supplier (ex Veolia, Anglian Water), same as ours. I know it's quite hard.

Dan, she's in Letchworth, as we are. She's looking at the Kinetico model, which doesn't require electricity.

Kinetico is the toned down version of the Harvey's Should be fine.

Letchworth is quite bad. Also a lot of lead mains still in the Glebe end. Would be worth seeing if that's the case and getting rid of it whilst she's having work done.

Thanks for the heads-up Dan. She lives in a recent estate (1990s I think), and no lead evident in her house during this or previous alterations.

Guessing Works Road, that'll be plastic and really high pressure. Hopefully not Fairfield (early Naughties though ). Those houses were slung up terribly.

Her plumber is a bell end

New plumber needed, this one doesn't know his job

How right you are guys! I visited my daughter's house today to see the finished extension and new kitchen, and the plumber has installed the water softener so that it only supplies soft water to the kitchen sink tap, and not to the rest of the house. I couldn't believe it!!

Her builder had already vowed not to use that plumber again because of other little snags along the way (radiators falling off the wall, joints leaking, etc.), and the water-softener's vendor is sending a man along on Tuesday to check things out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back