We've been powerflushed - but can you plse answer this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our ch pump packed in in November, we had a new one fitted then had a pumpin g over problem. Since then we've limped along turning hot and cold on seperately. Then the hot water constantly pumped over so used the immersion. This last week the heating has pumped over, but we were due to be powerflushed today.

It's been done and the plumber said it was very dirty and sentinel was added. He said no additive had been put in the system when we had the system eventually finished in Nov 2004!!! Though they told me it had! He also raised the height of the OSV

Anyway, the heating is ticking away nicely (been on 30 mins) but the narrow pipe (the f & e) is hot. Is this OK?

I'm sorry if this is a silly question but as our feed and expansion tank has been acting like a radiator for the last six months, I'm not sure how it should work.

Sponsored Links
The cold feed will get hot because of the expansion, but the header tank should be cold/warm, if it's still getting hot then call the plumber back.

Thanks for that. he will have to come back as one of the rads is only hot at the top.

Today I looked in the airing cupboard while the hot water only was on and both pipes were cool. Then I heard a lot of trickling coming from the pipes (I could not identify which one) and suddenly the feed pipe was really hot, right up to the ceiling. What could be causing this?

Pix of airing cupboard are in my images/profile.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there could be air in the system, or he hasn't power-flushed it properly.

It's always interesting to see how they power-flush an open vented system. :rolleyes:

It would be 10xs better to fit a magnaclean.

Is it still called pumping over when it goes up the FE vent?

When I switched off the hot water at the boiler it went cool again.

We wondered about the Magnaclean but the problem would be where to install it.

No, the cold feed/expansion will get hot, the water in the header tank should only get warm at best.

Magnaclean goes in the return to the boiler

How long did he spend power flushing?

Where did he connect his pump?

Do you know what chemical he used for the power flushing?

Tony

Four hours.

He took out the pump and connected it there.

He did put a chemical (Fernox Heavy Duty Restorer - well that label is on the boiler) in to flush it and then sentinel

did he chop out the pipe-work in the airing cupboard, or where the cold feed and open vent enter the sys? sounds like there is still a partial blockage on the horizontal of a typical H install

GasmanGaz beat me to it, but, is it what I would refer to as a 'combined feed & vent' ? (google it for a straightforward explanantion)

I too would suggest checking the pump-speed, is it a 15/50 or a 15/60 type that was installed (the /60 type has a bit more ooooomph to it)

DH

BTW, is the valve (assuming there is one!) on the cold feed fully open? - difficult to check for sure - sometimes the wheelheads indicate it is open when it is partially closed.....

did he chop out the pipe-work in the airing cupboard, or where the cold feed and open vent enter the sys? sounds like there is still a partial blockage on the horizontal of a typical H install

No those pipes sit above the boiler. They were renewed in 2004 and I have checked them with a magnet but they seem ok ( see My Images, Pump Album> Boiler)

GasmanGaz beat me to it, but, is it what I would refer to as a 'combined feed & vent' ? (google it for a straightforward explanantion)

I too would suggest checking the pump-speed, is it a 15/50 or a 15/60 type that was installed (the /60 type has a bit more ooooomph to it)

DH

BTW, is the valve (assuming there is one!) on the cold feed fully open? - difficult to check for sure - sometimes the wheelheads indicate it is open when it is partially closed.....

I don't know if the speed of the pump has been altered but it was on 1 before, to stop the pumping over.

The cold feed has been checked and he has fitted an on off handle to replace the wheel as it had been leaking previously.

Although a magnet is pretty conclusive in proving there is some magnetite, If it don't stick it doesn'e prove there is no magnetite.

looking at those pictures the whole system looks like a massive bodge, no wonder you got problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back