What have you had for dinner

Sponsored Links
For Sunday dinner, we had roast leg of lamb, with the left-overs put in the freezer to make something of, later. Yesterday evening, we decided the 'something', would be a Lancashire hotpot, so we made up and half cooked two, one for later today, the second for the freezer. The first one goes in the oven later today, 30 minutes covered, to heat it through, then 30 minutes uncovered, to brown the sliced potatoes on top of the hotpot.

That went down rather well, the gravy was a bit thin, though quite tasty. We'll be seeing if we can manage to thicken that, for the next one, which is ready made, stored in the freezer.

Avril's visiting her home patch for the weekend, back Monday, set off this morning - so it's self-catering for me, and the dog. Today's plan is Chicken Kiev, chips and salad, closely followed by tiramisu.

Sponsored Links
That went down rather well, the gravy was a bit thin, though quite tasty. We'll be seeing if we can manage to thicken that, for the next one, which is ready made, stored in the freezer.

One of my favourite ever dishes was a lamb stew my mum used to make with leftover lamb shoulder. She called it "lob". It was just so tasty. And then to finish, I would suck the marrow out of the bones.

Minted Lamb

IMG_6274.jpeg

Fish Curry with Polish Bulger wheat
20240330_201951.jpg

No fasting for me tonight.

Mrs S is looking at something on the internet about the order you eat your meal in.

Basically, they're saying eat your protein, fats and veggies first before the carbs, your blood sugar spike will be lower.

Eat the carbs first and you get a big spike, which stresses your insulin response.

Mrs S is looking at something on the internet about the order you eat your meal in.

Basically, they're saying eat your protein, fats and veggies first before the carbs, your blood sugar spike will be lower.

Eat the carbs first and you get a big spike, which stresses your insulin response.

I do this now. (Sometimes)
But used to do the other way.

Veggies digest quicker than potatoes, potatoes digest quicker than meat.

If your not diabetic then I'd imagine that is the best order. I think it's called the Hay diet if my memory serves me right.

We’ve been given wrong advice for 40 years.

Everything was about avoiding fat, but the real culprit is carbohydrates.
Carbohydrates break down into sugar

I’ve converted to brown rice, wholewheat pasta and not too often, porridge for breakfast, not too much bread during week.

Having a bad week as it’s Easter TBH

I often have porridge because the Doc told me it's good at lowering LDL cholesterol.

I often have porridge because the Doc told me it's good at lowering LDL cholesterol.

What I learned in Australia 17 or so years ago has stuck with me and I still follow what I learned.

Soak your porridge rolled oats in water over night. The rinse the starch off in the morning before cooking. Starch is one of the biggest problems for diabetes so getting fibre in your diet more is essential and mixing fibre with starchy foods helps the blood sugar levels. Examples seeds in bread.
Stick to low GI or sourdough seeded if possible.

Thanks.
Just moving over to sourdough. Buying a few different types to see what we like. Then I'll dip my toe in the water and try making a starter.

Sponsored Links
Back