What kind of incoming electrical connections are these?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need help in identifying the below please.

Connection 1:

DSC_0542_zpsfozzyxdq.jpg

Connection 2:

DSC_0540_zpsszhfdw6t.jpg

Sponsored Links
What exactly do you mean by "what kind" of connections? Supply type, earthing method, what sort of switching appears to be there?

No. 1 appears to be a 3-phase supply with only 2 phases in use, each metered separately (two flats within the same building, perhaps?). It's a little hard to make out what's going on around where the blue is toward the bottom of the picture, but it looks like TN-S (assuming that the local network still actually provides it). The MEM switch-fuse looks as though it isolates both feeds (to the two different flats or whatever). Can't tell exactly what the other unit (above the right-hand meter - can't be sure but looks like another MEM) is controlling without seeing more.

No. 2 appears to be two phases (from the age of that service head and depending upon the location, it looks as though the place might have been 3-wire d.c. at one time) and also TN-S. The left-hand meter has an associated radio teleswitch for Economy 7 or similar sort of night tariff, feeding into the grey MEM unit directly above the teleswitch and the black unit top left. Can't quite see from the wiring, but I would suspect the black MEM unit is the normal tariff and the grey MEM switch-fuse feeding into the SWA is E7 heating. The right-hand meter has obviously been replaced much more recently, and has had an isolator fitted above it. Can't see for sure, but presumably the cables from that go into the (now dirty!) ivory MEM unit upper right for further distribution. Two more flats?

PBC can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I should have been more clear - wanted to know the number of phases.

Of course I will be getting an electrician in at the right stage, but before that just sorting the actual supplies first.

No. 1 is currently a house with 2 supplies (up and down).
No. 2 is currently 2 flats.

Thanks guys. I should have been more clear - wanted to know the number of phases.
Why?

Of course I will be getting an electrician in at the right stage, but before that just sorting the actual supplies first.

Surely the only way to proceed is to determine what the requirements will be for the finished conversion, and get that installed by the DNO?

Why?

Surely the only way to proceed is to determine what the requirements will be for the finished conversion, and get that installed by the DNO?

Why? Because I'm curious and I don't want to remove say a 3 phase and install a single phase as I'd rather keep the larger supplier in case of future usage.

No.1 will remain as a house and I wanted to check if the existing supply can cope with more than one electric shower.

No. 2 is done - separate 7 way panel all installed by the DNO. I just wanted to know what the existing supply was and if I should keep it for the future (just in case of future expansion) or just get the DNO to remove it.

Last edited:
No.1 will remain as a house and I wanted to check if the existing supply can cope with more than one electric shower.
I assume the house was divided into two separate dwellings at one time. Looks like 80A meters installed at the moment, and but presumably you're getting the supplier to consolidate this to one meter?

Depending upon the current supply cable, they may be able to go to a single-phase 100A supply which might be sufficient for your needs, but obviously depending upon what other electrical load is being planned. If that's not enough, or if they can't go to 100A on the existing supply, then it would probably be cheaper to install for 3-phase rather than have the DNO run a new service.

No. 2 is done - separate 7 way panel all installed by the DNO.
The DNO? The DNO is responsible only for the supply up to the cut-out. From there to up to and including the meter is the responsibility of your supplier (whoever that may be). After that it's the owner's responsibility.

I just wanted to know what the existing supply was and if I should keep it for the future (just in case of future expansion) or just get the DNO to remove it.
So are you saying there's another supply to the property elsewhere? Or is this actually all in the same building as the first one and you're planning on putting everything on that No. 1 supply?

No. 1

The house has 2 metres at the moment but I would like to consolidate into one. It will be split over 3 floors and have at least 2 electric showers. Can someone tell me by looking at the picture if the current incoming supply could cope with that?

No. 2

The DNO has installed a new ground cable and 7 way panel for 5 flats.

The picture posted is of the existing set-up which I can either keep as dormant or have removed. I just wondered if it would be worth keeping for a future flat in that location.

The house has 2 metres at the moment but I would like to consolidate into one. It will be split over 3 floors and have at least 2 electric showers. Can someone tell me by looking at the picture if the current incoming supply could cope with that?
A single phase supply can do 1 electric shower. Perhaps 2 if there were no other electrical heating or cooking appliances in use, meaning it was all gas. However if gas is available that should be used for water heating and showers as it's 4x cheaper than electricity.

A 3 phase supply can do several electric showers, but that also means additional installation costs as you will require a 3 phase DB installing rather than a domestic consumer unit. This assumes that what appears to be a 3 phase supply in the picture actually is.
It's still total madness to consider multiple electric showers as they cost a fortune to operate and their performance is pathetic.

2 or more showers also requires that the water supply has suitable pressure and flow at the times that the showers are likely to be used.

No. 2

The DNO has installed a new ground cable and 7 way panel for 5 flats.

The picture posted is of the existing set-up which I can either keep as dormant or have removed. I just wondered if it would be worth keeping for a future flat in that location.

Doesn't look very dormant to me the meter is still on its showing 44 units used and doesn't look old enough to have gone round the clock. You cant have it ripped out if you have only just have it put in your supplier would think you were nuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back