What kind of incoming electrical connections are these?

The former is a fixed configuration with 5 ways on each side of the board. The latter can be changed so that you could have, for example, 3 on one side and 7 on the other, or 4 on one side and 6 on the other.

The Ten Way configurable is a more modern version of the old-fashioned fixed way boards, meaning that you can vary the number of ways on each side of the split to suit your needs, and not be restricted in your options - better still configurable boards are exactly the same price as their old fashioned inflexible configuration ones.
No he didn't.

Sponsored Links
rather than the traditional up/down (which is a daft idea anyway coz you end up with a downstairs ring final that has every juice hungry appliance on it while the upstairs one has.. A hairdryer occasionally)
That's something which has always bugged me as well. Then the reasoning of some people seems to be, "Well, we'll split up the downstairs then and give the kitchen its own ring."

So then you still have all the power-hungry appliances on one ring, including for many British kitchens a washer and perhaps dryer, while with the prevalence of central heating these days, there are then two rings which are running little more than table lamps, televisions and other small appliances most of the time.

but it would be nice (but perhaps overkill?) to have a ring for each room to give maximum flexibility - e.g. bed 1 ring, bed 2 ring, lounge ring etc.
Definitely overkill to provide a 30A ring for each bedroom and the living room. If you're going to go down that sort of route, a 20A radial per room would be more than enough, and still probably overkill.

Thanks for explanations regarding the difference between 5+5 and a 10.

How many circuits can one RCD deal with?

The rating is written on it, but the simple answer is 'in a domestic setting, all of them'

With regards to the wiring configuration, this property will be self-contained flats so each will have it's own meter and CU. I imagine most sparks will just want one ring for all the sockets in the flat but it would be nice (but perhaps overkill?) to have a ring for each room to give maximum flexibility - e.g. bed 1 ring, bed 2 ring, lounge ring etc., but then if you do the same with the lights you could end up need a larger CU than originally required.

Complete overkill. A 4 bed house could reasonably get away with 'kitchen ring' and 'not kitchen ring'
Start listing appliances you find in a kitchen. Kilowatts of microwave, kettle, toaster, toastie maker, tumbler, washer, dishwasher. All power hungry heaters. Now list the rest of house. Led TV, laptop, phone charger, fish tank, fairy lights, vacuum once a week. Hopefully you're getting the idea that most of the power consumption is in the kitchen and the rest of the house doesn't compare
Talking about crazy ideas like a ring per room makes you look really, really green and combined with the 'I'm going to do my own sparking' leanings is really lining you up for a roasting

The cost of sparking a house up isn't the wire (15p a metre) or the cu/MCBs cos again these are like, 2 quid each. It's the 250 quid a day you are paying the spark to zap it all together. Saying crazy stuff like a ring for each room is good news for him I suppose, but it'll double your installation bill

Last edited:
I know he will (hopefully), I am meeting him in a few days. Now how about you tell me something I don't know?
There is not the space here to tell you everything you don't know about electrical installation design.

But there might be space to tell you that if you want your electrician to sign this declaration:

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

you have to let him do the design, which includes speccing the CU.

I know you can't tell me everything but just some pertinent important tips would help. Thanks for the declaration.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for explanations regarding the difference between 5+5 and a 10.

How many circuits can one RCD deal with?

The rating is written on it, but the simple answer is 'in a domestic setting, all of them'

With regards to the wiring configuration, this property will be self-contained flats so each will have it's own meter and CU. I imagine most sparks will just want one ring for all the sockets in the flat but it would be nice (but perhaps overkill?) to have a ring for each room to give maximum flexibility - e.g. bed 1 ring, bed 2 ring, lounge ring etc., but then if you do the same with the lights you could end up need a larger CU than originally required.

Complete overkill. A 4 bed house could reasonably get away with 'kitchen ring' and 'not kitchen ring'
Start listing appliances you find in a kitchen. Kilowatts of microwave, kettle, toaster, toastie maker, tumbler, washer, dishwasher. All power hungry heaters. Now list the rest of house. Led TV, laptop, phone charger, fish tank, fairy lights, vacuum once a week. Hopefully you're getting the idea that most of the power consumption is in the kitchen and the rest of the house doesn't compare
Talking about crazy ideas like a ring per room makes you look really, really green and combined with the 'I'm going to do my own sparking' leanings is really lining you up for a roasting

The cost of sparking a house up isn't the wire (15p a metre) or the cu/MCBs cos again these are like, 2 quid each. It's the 250 quid a day you are paying the spark to zap it all together. Saying crazy stuff like a ring for each room is good news for him I suppose, but it'll double your installation bill

Reading through the responses I now understand things better - which is why I am on here - not to become a sparky but to learn the basics just for my own knowledge and so I don't get ripped off - and I appreciate those who have messaged with help/advice.

I've agreed a price with electrician for labour only (5 flats plus landlord requirements) and I will see what he 'prefers' to fit in terms of CU. The builder (a friend) and I will be purchasing the bits required.

The builder (a friend) and I will be purchasing the bits required.
And will the electrician give you a warranty?

Will "you" pay less for the CUs than the electrician would?

Does your friend the builder not employ, or have established relationships with, electrician(s) already? If not what does he do when people want him to build an extension, or a house, for example? Ask them to find an electrician? Take pot luck with trustedtrader.com?

The builder (a friend) and I will be purchasing the bits required.
And will the electrician give you a warranty?

Yes. In fact, he suggested a labour only price as it allows me to buy to the quality I want.

Will "you" pay less for the CUs than the electrician would?

I will speak to him to see what he prefers to fit and discuss costs. I'm sure he won't mind me borrowing his trade card but if he does because he is weird like that (considering I am giving him 5 flats to do and the potential for more future work), I will just buy them myself and take a mental note for future projects.

Does your friend the builder not employ, or have established relationships with, electrician(s) already? If not what does he do when people want him to build an extension, or a house, for example? Ask them to find an electrician? Take pot luck with trustedtrader.com?

Yes, this is one of the ones he has used several times in the past and trusts their work. I also got quotes from a couple myself. Even with my builder whom I trust, I still like to keep up to date with things and know what's going on and why. I may not know the building regulations inside out but having a basic understanding helps. It's the same concept with house electrics, cars or whatever. Why do you seem so threatened by this?

As long as your electrician does not fit far eastern junk consumer units, some electricians will fit such junk if left to their own devices, with an unwary hoeseholder!

That's something which has always bugged me as well. Then the reasoning of some people seems to be, "Well, we'll split up the downstairs then and give the kitchen its own ring."

So then you still have all the power-hungry appliances on one ring, including for many British kitchens a washer and perhaps dryer, while with the prevalence of central heating these days, there are then two rings which are running little more than table lamps, televisions and other small appliances most of the time.

Yes, but at least you have a ring where the load is either distributed evenly around it (or if the kitchen is a long way from the board, with long legs back..... it is centrallised)

Putting the kitchen on another ring, could depending on room layout and wiring route, end up with a lot of load clustered towards the end of a ring.

I've got my kitchen on its own ring, washer and dishwasher spurs are not far from the mid point. Tumble dryer is on its own radial

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back