What to do with old hot water cylinder system? Shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've made a couple of posts recently about the relative merits of mixer vs electric showers in light of a new combi boiler being fixed and thankfully I know what's best.

However, someone has asked me why I am having a combi fitted if my ould cylinder system is working well enough. The simple answer is because British Gas informed me this was the best option. What they didn't tell me that the performance of a mixer shower off my new combi won't be anywhere near as good as my current power shower off the hot water cylinder.

Can anyone answer two questions for me:

1. Is it correct that a mixer on a combi won't be as good in terms of power as is the power shower off the cylinder system.
2. If this is the case...is it practical and indeed possible to leave the existing set up I have for the shower and use the combi for the central heating only?

The British Gas engineers are planning on taking out the old boiler but as space isn't an issue for me I'm wondering if it's worth me having two systems in light of the poorer performance of the shower off a combi system.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks,

J.

Sponsored Links
If you want to keep the cylinder and power shower then you will not need a combi. A heat only system or open vent boiler is all that is required.

As you mention BG then obviously money is no object :LOL: so I would recommend a system boiler and a mains unvented hot water cylinder that would not need any power shower.

There is nothing wrong with a combi on a mixer shower. A 30/31Kw or more will deliver an invigorating shower as long as your incoming pressure is good.

Why go with BG? Get a good reliable local CORGI and save at least 1/3rd off BG prices ;)

Or you could just install a pump to improve the pressure on your shower?

Sponsored Links
Why go with BG? Get a good reliable local CORGI and save at least 1/3rd off BG prices

Yup heed that edvice, my mate just paid £4000 on a new combi and CH from NPower i told him to cancel and go with somone local but, well whats point on saving a couple of grand ehh? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back