Whats the best timer please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys never had to do a heating timer before so a few pointers would be great.

right then, our church, has a 7 day 24 hour timer the dial type with little snibs for setting the on/off periods and a little overide switch to put the heating on permanently.

Connected to this is also the thermostat.

The parish chap wants a digital type with a 'boost' or 'overide button'

He has already bought this one

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/92265/Electrical-Supplies/Timers/Digital-Weekly-Immersion-Timer

the present one has the same ratings as this, I am just wondering if this may do the job??

If not some suggestions would be good, the installation schematic appears to be the same as the current install

Thanks in advance[/url]

Sponsored Links
It will probably be possible with that one tbh, failing that the danfoss ones are OK.

I take it you only need one set of contacts? 103E7 will probably be more suitable so you can set each day separately.
Saying that I don't see any technical reason why the immersion heater one won't do the job.

Sponsored Links
With the timer you have selected you will also need two thermostats however with you have only to use one device for frost protection, use temperature and timing.
And at £22.50 v £17.61 is it really worth not spending the extra?
PS click on picture to get to web site.
The timer is designed for up to 13 amp load which is not normally required with central heating the thermostat which includes a timer is only designed for 5 amp with is normally ample for central heating.

Think I understand what you mean Eric.

So I could actually do away with the 'dial' thermostat that is there as this combines the 'timer' and 'thermostat' that is already in place!!!

Like it!!!!

Both my daughter and I have them fitted. It replaced a time clock and two thermostats in my case and I found with old thermostat the room temperature always would over shoot but with new one I have set mon to fri in two stages from over night setting of 16 deg to 19 deg at 7:30 then to 20 deg at 9:30 and this has stopped overshoot. Then evening when doing nothing it goes up 1 more degree. Weekend settings only allow two changes but each day Sat and Sun can have different times. Same times are used for mon to fri.
The battery lasted about 18 months and is easy to change but you have to re-enter all setting after change.

in a communal building owned by a local charity and used by lots of groups, we have a heating programmer, and have had to put a sign up saying" if you want to put the heating on outside normal hours, press the Advance button - please do not set the timer to "continuous" and leave it"

as so many people set the heating to 24 hours and walk off and leave it.

this might happen in your building too

you may think of a better way, or there may be a more suitable timer

btw most people can cope with "dial" timers and stats but get confused by digital ones

Have two timers. One accessible to hirers and one that is not.

The one that is not accessible to hirers overides the system to OFF even if the hirers the accessible timer at continuously ON.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back