What's wrong with this socket? (Non-professionals only)

Sponsored Links
It's actually emulsioned in cream.

The paper you see underneath the socket outline is bits that were not removed when the decorator stripped the rest. (No doubt suffering more shocks while doing that...)

It reminds me of one of the first jobs I went on when starting with the firm I work for now.

The complaint was "customer getting shocks off bath & taps". So when I got there I asked for a bit of history.

"Let me show you," said the lady of the house, removing her sandals and running a few inches of water before getting in, "this is when I really feel it...."

:eek:

Turned out to be a TT system with VO ELCB, no rod, no peb's & no supplementary....

Sponsored Links
I'm still confused why anyone thinks that a connection to the backbox would have blown/tripped anything...

Whilst not being the correct method, if the back box is metal it would be 'earthed' via the securing screws, so the flying lead theory doesn't hold. As to why the RCD didn't trip I have no idea.
After 15/16 years and not been removed I would have expected a least a spiders web if not a dead spider! :LOL: It looks so clean! :LOL:

depends what the backbox is screwed to.. it might be a timber stud wall and the backbox screwed to a timber noggin.. very little leakage through timber and plasterboard..

I'm still confused why anyone thinks that a connection to the backbox would have blown/tripped anything...

Because no one would put a green/yellow or bare conductor in the same terminal as a red one.... no, not even someone who is an incompetant enough as to muddle up the phase and cpc terminals, so the link would be from earth to the back box (from the phase terminal), so when the SO plate with live eyelets was screwed back....

Have a quick look at this and tell me what's wrong with this:

SocketWiredWrongly.jpg
Live wires connected to the earth terminal!

Because no one would put a green/yellow or bare conductor in the same terminal as a red one.... no, not even someone who is an incompetant enough as to muddle up the phase and cpc terminals, so the link would be from earth to the back box (from the phase terminal), so when the SO plate with live eyelets was screwed back....
No but someone thinking of older german standards could have thought red was earth and used a bit of red wire to link onto the backbox.

I'm just amazed the Alphatek showed "power present" when I plugged it in....

Mind you, thinking about it, for a loop test it will be looking at phase & earth.

Well the phase was in place of the cpc and the neutral in place of the live, so it would have registered power.

I'm only a DIY'er as you know, but I reckon you have to be good to get that quite so wrong. Impressive (in the wrong way!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back